1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment Agencies

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by David Getling, Dec 20, 2010.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, it looks as if international recruitment is just starting, and I'm pretty horrified to see how much use is being made of agencies. Am I wrong to be extremely skeptical?

When I worked in I.T. extensive use was made of agencies. The only benefits that most of us could see accrued solely to the manager who commissioned them. If the recruitment went wrong he could pass the blame (a highly revered skill, by all who aspire to the highest echelons), and at Christmas there were the free slap-up meals and presents - lots, it you could manage to use several agencies.

However, it seldom seemed that the company ended up with a better recruit. On the whole these agencies selected candidates based on buzz-words and a "never mind the quality feel the width" approach. For example, if my CV said "I would rather spend the next 5 years at a corpse feast than program in COBOL" then before too long I would get a call from one of the pimps. I'd be told that their funeral director client was looking for someone with at least 4 years COBOL, so I was ideally suited to the job.

So, when it comes to schools are these agencies any better?

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Or somewhere in Middlesex. Yes, if it's who I think you mean they have had an I.T. recruitment division for more years than I care to remember. To be honest I can't remember if I just never had any dealings with them, or if they were just plain useless.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I worked for "stuff that horses eat" in Australia as an I.T. person. I was contracting for a year. Each week, they took a cut of my cash. My "account manager" turned up at my place of work one day and didnt even know my name. We had never met, I had applied for the job direct to my employer and the only reason they were involved was that it was my employers policy to always hire contractors through "stuff that horses eat". They did not want to help me with an accountant and were generally pointless. I agree that, on the whole, in the I.T. world, recruitment agencies are bigger sharks than the average great white.

4. I can recommend Search Associates UK branch. Dr Cope is a gentlemen. They have helped me out with honest advise. I did not get a job with them as a school employed me via an advert. However, the advise given was excellent. My advise is try them.

5. Advice!!!!