1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recruitment agencies/websites

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mary_1, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Mary_1

Mary_1 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for primary job vacancies in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, where is the best place to search for vacancies ? Any reputable agencies that anyone could reccomend? Or then specific websites?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

When one talks about teacher employment agencies you may as well include street drug dealers in your mix. A drug dealer and employment agency will sell anything to anybody regardless of the damage it may do to an individual. Employment agencies will sell a person to the highest bidder and that's how they make their money!

The best of a bad lot for teachers would be Search Associates who are the leaders of the bunch available, but you still need to do your home work with International Schools Review. The days of Harry Deelman running a straight ship are all long since over.

Mary_1 likes this.
  3. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I found that Search Associates had no British Curriculum vacancies in the two months I was registered with them, so if I were you I wouldn't bother. Neither did they have any British Curriculum schools at either of the job fairs I was invited to. I didn't have any luck with other agencies either.

TES is a very reliable source, but also keep an eye on GEMS, Taaleem and Innoventures web sites.

Also join the Dubai Teachers' Network on Facebook as people already there often post details of vacancies in their schools.

Mary_1 likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

British curriculum schools are only a small part of the international circuit. the IB dwarfs the British system, so if you avoid them you are missing out on the largest pool of jobs out there. only a fool would do so. from what i can tell the other curriculum schools also provide better packages than British schools.

i would definitely make the effort to join search above any other agency

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I think you will find British (English) Curriculum Schools make up around 40% of international schools, other curriculums are available.

IB Head Quarters are in Wales and therefore British by definition!

6. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I have no idea how good or bad they are but I have a list of supposedly useful contacts I'll send it to you in a conversation when I'm at my computer.

Mary_1 likes this.
  7. markedout

Fair enough, but I could add that over the last two months they had very few vacancies in the UAE at all!

8. dumbbells66

Thats because the main recruitment season runs from September to around the end of Feb, so im not surprised:)

9. dumbbells66

Its moved now, to The Hague....it was before the Brexit farce though so we cant blame it on that. They do have an office just oitside Cardiff though.

10. dumbbells66

The highest number i can find for British schools worldwide is 2900, but yet the IB has 4,786 schools. Although lots of this data is quiet dated, i cant seem to find any data past 2013 for british schools.
    Then you have to consider the number of Australian, Canadian, American schools, plus other "curriculums" so i will stick to thinking the British system isnt as large as many Brits would like to think.
    Yes i know some IB schools also do iGCSE's and A levels, but then there are plenty of British schools that also run the DP programme.

11. markedout

I didn't know I needed a job in Dubai until my husband got one (not in teaching), so I couldn't start looking until December. There are still plenty being advertised on TES, although I had my first interview in late January.

Mary_1 likes this.
  12. dumbbells66

there are always jobs available, but the main season starts in September, with many many schools trying to get it all done by December. recruitment seems to just get earlier and earlier every year

JL48 likes this.
  13. Mary_1

Mary_1 New commenter

That would be great. Really appreciate it :)

14. Mary_1

Mary_1 New commenter

Yes I’m in the same boat, my husband has a job and Ive just started looking. The only issue is that I’m currently completing my NQT year, so limited to the schools that I can apply for in Abu Dhabi (He’s going to be working in Abu Dhabi). I really hope I get something soon because we really want to make the move to the UAE.

15. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

hmmm . . . why not go the whole hog and suggest the government schools? ADEC / DEC is always looking, and they do pay well . . .

16. ravenscroft2

ravenscroft2 New commenter

Because adec is complete mess !

17. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

There's a job for a school in Dubai with the word 'world' in it. Anyone know what it's like there?

18. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Or even the international version of the same Singapore brand/name.

19. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Can i make a very clear point about some larger agencies.

When a school is looking for a new staff member they may well rely on a particular agency, one they use regularly and are happy with. An agency gets paid for finding staff for schools so it is in their interests to meet that requirement.

They may well send details of only three applicants they consider their best for this role and you may not be one of them. A job you feel you are well suited to, in a country you may have a particular interest in, may be taken out of your hands.

As such, freelance as much as possible. Target and contact schools directly.

20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have heard one or two good things on the grapevine about an agency called TIC, run by a chap called Andrew Wigford.

It was some years ago that I last used the services of Search Associates. Have things really gone downhill so badly? I always thought that the SA jobfairs were rather enjoyable occasions and they gave you lots of opportunities to network with other teachers from around the world.

Yes, I think I would heartily agree with ravenscroft2's excellent summary of ADEC.