1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recount what?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon82, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hi there
    Please help. Bit stressed. I have been asked to sort out lesson plans for a unit on recount. I have their planning from last year but it is rubbish! Hence why they thought they'd give it to the NQT to sort out. Dont you just hate that! It's not the first unit they have done this with either. You should have seen the narrative poetry they did last year. I really need anything anyone&rsquo;s got really on recount: resources, worksheets, PowerPoint&rsquo;s, IWB slides...anything. I have been asked to work towards creating a newspaper or magazine by the end of the 3 week unit.<font size="2">Please, can anyone send me anything they have. I would really appreciate it greatly everyone. It&rsquo;s obvious that they are giving me plans from last year which were the worst. I almost feel like I&rsquo;m being watched as to what i can come up with. Bit stressed with this unit.</font> Sorry about the moan.<font size="2">Thanks for your help.</font>

ilj786@live.co.uk

2. That was for year 5 by the way. Thanks. ilj x

3. Thank you so much everyone. ilj xx

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Have you tried looking online and asking on the English forum?

I must say, however, that planning a unit of work from scratch it part of a teacher's job. I have never ever been given planning from the previous year, even as a starting point.
    I appreciate that lots of schools have set schemes of work that all teachers follow year in, year out. However in all schools I've worked in, I've been expected to planning my own schemes.
    Might I suggest that perhaps you use last year's planning as a start, then build on it with your own ideas? A bit of google research to 'teach yourself' is always a good place to start.

5. Hi Eva
    Funnily enough i did exactly that. I looked at last years planning and only used it to come up with some ideas. im proud to say that i created a totally new scheme of work which has worked brilliantly! Brownie point to me eh, lol.

Thanks for your advice. ilj xx

6. Wel, on my final TP, my mentor gave me 2 weeks to plan the entire foundation and literacy schemes of work for a term. She hadn't taught in Y3 before, so had nothing to give me but a mish mash of bits she had been left. I had no time to teach the year group before doing it either.
    Good experience, but nearly killed me. And, naturally, I was just guessing what y3s could cope with - so some of it was unworkable. At least you have taught the class, have an idea of what resources the school has in the cupboards, and not got someone observing you twice a week while you teach it! You can make most of your mistakes in private, and modify as you go along.
    Good luck. [​IMG]

SP

7. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Well done! Brilliant experience and lots of standards met.

8. Hi there, realise it's a bit late but I have taught a unit on recounts last term to year six and can send you a bunch of smart/ powerpoint resources and planning if you still need it, let me know your email and I will send :)

9. Hi kcoleman22,
    Any chance you could send me the stuff on recounts?
    Thanks
    pcarr@mbisegypt.com