1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

recording verbal feedback

Discussion in 'Music' started by muswash, Dec 7, 2011.

1. muswash

muswash New commenter

I've just had an observation today and overall it went very well. However, I was picked up on not recording verbal feedback. It was a practical lesson, African Drumming, so obviously verbal feedback was almost given constantly during the lesson and even though my observer admitted to seeing it being done, told me I needed to have this recorded somewhere! They suggested I keep a class list and note down each time I spoke to a child. Personally I think this is a crazy idea, especially seeing 450 kids a week, once a week for 55 minutes!
    Does anyone have any better ideas or do I just have to bite the bullet and do it this way?
    Many thanks for any suggestions.

2. muswash

muswash New commenter

I've just had an observation today and overall it went very well. However, I was picked up on not recording verbal feedback. It was a practical lesson, African Drumming, so obviously verbal feedback was almost given constantly during the lesson and even though my observer admitted to seeing it being done, told me I needed to have this recorded somewhere! They suggested I keep a class list and note down each time I spoke to a child. Personally I think this is a crazy idea, especially seeing 450 kids a week, once a week for 55 minutes!
    Does anyone have any better ideas or do I just have to bite the bullet and do it this way?
    Many thanks for any suggestions.

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

1. Ask your observer how they do this in their classroom.
    2. Get the students to complete an 'exit activity', writing down what feedback they received in the lesson and how they acted on this (you could also include: what they learnt, goal for next lesson, question for the teacher, something they found interesting, etc)
    3. Install a hanging mic in your classroom and record every lesson to mp3.

4. Tell them to p*ss off! What a load of rubbish. Ignore it or leave. Never heard the like.

5. bod99

bod99 New commenter

get a kid to tick off on a list who you've spoken to. Child labour is cheap and plentiful.

6. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

So once you've recorded the feedback what are you going to do with it?

I assume its there just so you can prove you do it should someone ask. Load of ****!!

7. yes, what a load of *****, make it up, wave and smile

8. I have a verbal feedback given stamp and they write the EBI even better if on a assessmnet sheet where I put other grades as well

9. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Like EBI - do you have any other acronymns going?

10. What the *****! This is just some idiot who could not make it as a real teacher finding something to to say about your lesson because that justifies their existence - they always have to have something to say, to make some comment about how you could improve. It's total rubbish - what a waste of everyone's time!

11. HI
    I have a digital recorder that is really good quality and when connected to a computer saves the recorded extract as an mp3. When we are discussing a performance or composition I place it on my desk and press record. The children were a bit silly to start with but now are quite happy to talk openly. It takes just minutes to save the extract in a folder and then you can recall it when you need to. Just remember to record the class and date at the start and refer to the children by name.

12. Just video it and save all the files for any future visit by an observer. Then request a much better computer with huge memory . I think laugh off the comment is the best policy and demand you see this person deliver a similar lesson with his recommendations in full swing. Please invite us all.

13. Oh, forgot to say, it's what you do with all this information which is the most important. Don't just do things because it says in some publication.

14. dropje

dropje New commenter

What a load of nonsense. Record music not conversation. I have never been asked to provide this kind of evidence and never will even if I am asked.