1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recording non-writing children!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Tracey1985, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Hi there!

I'm in need of some advice from anyone with any kind of experience in this area!

I've just been moved from Reception to year 3 (Not my choice I must add) and I have a child who is unable to record. She can sgwiggle but her last teacher told me i'd have to sit with this child at all times but not scribe what she's written above her 'writing', just tick her work after she has told me what she has tried to write!

My concern is that I can't just sit with her all day and not support the rest of the class! It wouldn't be fair!

Her last teacher was the SENCO so I don't feel I can ask any of the staff at the school for advice because hers was to constantly be at this child's side!

Any advice on how I could record what she has written would be a massive help!

Thank you in advance!

xTraceyx

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

You do not say what she is recording, nor if she can read. Is there not a hierarchy of tasks you could work through? Can she speak? Is there any chance of using voice-to-text? If she can read any words, could she select from a small group of words to 'record' what she sees in a picture or whatever the record is to be about? If not, can she match? Could you offer a selection of words/phrases including one already under a picture? And if you have symbol software programs in school, there is a chance to hear what a word or phrase says and select the one you want.

Ticking squiggles whether or not you sat beside her seems a bit of a dead end if you never do anything with the squiggles. If you were able to use a symbol software program with her once or twice a day for a few minutes then she could squiggle, tell you what it says, you could type what she says without any modification (as long as she says English words!) AND THEN she could listen to the voice read it as often as she likes and watch the highlighter move over the words. Print out her daily output. Maybe one of the other children could read it with her?

As far as writing more than squiggles goes, maybe there is more to do just on pencil control and letter formation? Can she see? Very long-sighted children may be disadvantaged doing close work but they will move around confidently.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You could use talking tins for her to record and then play back and write one word at a time. Do you have Clicker in school, this is very good for children who find writing difficult. But as said above you have to find out what she can't do,read, spelling, physical act of writing. What is it that is causing the difficulty and work on that. I'd say some form of assessment to establish her need.

4. Hi there!

Thank you both for your replies!

The child in question is very able, her maths and literacy skills are great but she is unable to record much beyond squiggles due to her fine motor skills issues. The SENCO (her previous teacher) told me not to use a computer as she won't want to appear different but having said that her typing is slow.

I feel a bit stuck...especially since my suggestions of how to progress were met with negativity!

xTx

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I'd go ahead with typing skills if her fine motor is that poor as this will probably become her normal way of working and will give her a good start for secondary school. There are many good typing programmes for children which make it fun and could be done at home. We have a few children who will type rather than write it is seen as a privilege rather than making them out as different.

Has she been assessed by an OT and a programme of work established? I think the parent could request this through her GP which might be the best way forward if the school/senco is being negative.

since the new code places the responsibility with the CT you can introduce what you think is best for the child and what will work in your class environment.

There are also many OT books available with activities as well as resources on line.

6. Thank you for your advice!

The child in question has been given 1 hour of support a day! I've been told to use that time for her to complete her literacy/language work in!

However, like you say I shall have to allow her to become accustomed to using a computer against the suggestions of the SENCO!

I'm worried about going against her word but I feel its the only way forward for her development!

xTx

7. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

If she can read and the problem is mainly fine motor, what about a word bank of required vocabulary that she can select from and place in grammatical order?(words on slips of card that she can manipulate into sentences then you (or she) photographs the resulting sentence(s) with a digital camera print and paste the photo into her book / keep in a file as evidence. (breakthrough to literacy style, which was very popular in the late 1970's works well for small groups but impossibly complex due to lost bits of card for a whole class) Or, if she's expected to write several sentences give her a ready written selection of appropriate and inappropriate phrases and sentences that she can read and select and paste in suitable order?

I've used the magnetic key words for year 1 and 2 that are easy to get hold of e.g.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=oosr

on a magnetic whiteboard to do this before and it's worked well and saved a lot of time making. I needed to make or buy extra "form" words like I and can and some individual words but that was relatively easy. maybe you could use the support time in a coaple of lessons to make and set up the system?

I'd go with the typing as a starting point though. If the keyboard is tricky to start with and she wants to write faster you could download wordbar so that she can just click on the words she needs in the correct order and they'll type into a document quickly.