1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Recording a choir cd - copyright???

Discussion in 'Music' started by sammi3502, Jun 7, 2017.

  1. sammi3502

    sammi3502 New commenter


    I am getting my children to record a couple of pop songs to sell to our parent to raise money for the school. I have been trying to work out what copyright licenses I need to sort out. I seem to have found that schools are all covered by a variety of copyright laws by the LA including - The Mechanical Copyright Protection Society licence. The MCPS ‘Limited manufacture’ licence covers the use of music in DVDs and CDs produced by the school and sold to parents, e.g. by the PTA, to raise funds for the school. The licence provides the right for all schools to make and sell up to 1,000 copies a year of DVDs or CDs containing music.

    So does anyone know if this means we will be covered to record a couple of covers and sell 50 odd copies to parents?

    Thanks to anyone who can help!
  2. schmedz

    schmedz Occasional commenter

    I did something similar a few years ago and used this license. I was advised not to include any Disney repertoire/songs from musicals as these apparently fall under different copyright 'rules' but from memory the information on the MCPS 'Limited Manufacture' info page was quite clear - if in doubt, email them.
    Good luck and have fun :)
  3. bevriv

    bevriv New commenter

    Yes, definitely avoid Disney! My husband's school had to stick to the letter when performing a production. You could give them away and ask for a contribution to PTA funds (or does PTA have charitable status and does that make a difference?). I've often thought about making a CD and this puts me off, what a minefield!
  4. Doitforfree

    Doitforfree Star commenter

    I believe MCPS has been absorbed by PRS now, but the rules are the same. You apply for your licence and if the MCPS (or PRS, if that's who it is now) don't administer the copyright for any of your chosen songs then they will tell you and you will have to contact those owners individually. Or that's how it;'s supposed to work. When we made a CD they erroneously told me they didn't hold the rights to one of the songs, i spent months chasing the copyright owners round the USA and finally found that MCPS did have it after all, only they'd only recently got it and had failed to update their records.

    It's neither difficult nor expensive, but a lot easier if your songs are all covered by MCPS. PRS are very cagey about admitting that they don't look after the rights of all music and like to imply that they do, but they don't. Foe example, if you want to sing one of my songs then you need to get my permission, and there is plenty of music the same. . MCPS was still separate when I last got a licence and it worked ok, eventually. It makes no difference if you're giving away the CD but I think there is a special arrangement if you're making a small promotional CD. It's all pretty clear on the website. I suggest writing your own songs then you're free to do what you want, though you still might want to register to stop other people copying your work.

Share This Page