1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recording a Choir CD - copyright??

Discussion in 'Music' started by louiseelsiet, Jun 18, 2011.

1. louiseelsiet

louiseelsiet New commenter

Hi,
    I am recording a choir CD with my primary school choir and wondered in terms of copyright laws what exactly I need to do? Can anyone help please?
    Thanks!

2. louiseelsiet

Hi,
    I am recording a choir CD with my primary school choir and wondered in terms of copyright laws what exactly I need to do? Can anyone help please?
    Thanks!

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I think you'll need to provide a bit more information. What music is going on your CD?

4. louiseelsiet

Hi,
    Sorry my message is a bit vague. We will be recording some songs like Do-re-mi, a selection from Les Miserables, Over the Rainbow, Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) etc and a few other traditional Welsh songs and Christmas carols.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

6. florian gassmann

Oh ... just seen the OP's second post. Including songs from musicals could be much more problematic, as you will probably need to clear grand rights for each item separately. I'd seek advice from PRS/MCPS on licensing those songs.

7. louiseelsiet

Ok, great I will look into it now. The CD will only be sold to parents and friends of the school.
    Thanks!

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

When you apply for your licence they'll tell you if they don't cover any of the songs. In that case you'll have to track down the copyright owner to get permission. This caused us endless bother and it later turned out that one of the songs in question WAS covered by MCPS after all!

9. louiseelsiet

I've just had a look at the limited maufacture licence, the prices depend on the number of copies you sell. I don't know how many I am going to sell so wouldn't know which one to apply for!

10. florian gassmann

It is assumed that you will order x number of copies of the CD to be pressed, and that is the number that you apply to be licensed. It might well be worth setting up an advance ordering system (perhaps giving a small discount to those who pay in advance) to give you an idea of the potential sales.

11. louiseelsiet

I was thinking of an advance ordering system so that may give me an idea. What happens if you sell more than what you first anticipated though? Do you just then pay the extra?

12. florian gassmann

You'd need to check with MCPS, but I wouldn't be surprised if they charge you the full whack for a second licence, so it may be cheaper to overestimate on the original license application, especially as the prices are very modest compared with commerical licensing.