1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

record keeping

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teriteach, May 29, 2012.

1. I work in a state-maintained 'stand alone' nursery as a class teacher. The class has 3 early years practioners with key person responsibilities for at least 16 children, sometimes more. How do people allow them time for observations, record-keeping and supporting children with their 'next steps' if they are very specific while maintaining ratio and allowing for inside/outside free-flow?!

2. I work in a large 'stand alone' nursery too. Each keyworker has responsibility for a group of children. We have recently started to observe children as a whole team, we choose 5 children each week am and pm, then all the staff are responsible for observing these children. (one member per day) by friday we have at least 4 observations and some post its. At the staff planning meeting the children are discussed by the team and next steps or priorities set. These are incorporated into the weekly plans and all staff are now aware of the children's needs. Identified children are then focussed on by different members of staff wherever they play (post it notes and photos help with communication between staff). We are able to observe every child once a term in this way. Record keeping is left to the individual to complete whenever (usually staying late or lunch times)

3. I work for a non profit making pre-school, and each key worker keeps observations on their children, which is on average about 5 per child. This is challenging but can be done within a free flow system. We write spontaneous observations on each child as and when we see them, and will do so for other key children if we know something they have done is an achievment for them and then pass it to their key worker. We take our records home to complete and are lucky to paid to complete the records.

4. Thanks for that. We have had the luxury of being able to give people time just to focus on their key children and the 'Learning stories' that our LA asks us to keep. But that will change in September and I am dreading having to let them know! So am trying to think of ways to manage it and change a mindset of time-out to do paperwork!

5. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

We changed our session times so that we have 20 mins to half an hour before lunch to complete records and have staff meetings.