1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

recommending reading books to parent

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jellybellysmum, Mar 29, 2011.

1. One of my year 1 chn has a reading age of 8 years 9 months and her mum has asked for books that she can buy for her as most books for her age are too easy but some of the harder ones are not necessarily appropriate. I've got a list of books up to book band 10 but don't know what else I could recommend. Any body got any ideas?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What I always, always say to parents in this situation is to take their child to an excellent books shop and let them browse. A library works just as well.
    People cannot choose ';good' books for another person. What I think is 'good' might be boring beyond belief for another.

Let the child choose books. If they are that good at reading they will have a good idea of what they do and don't like and so will be able to choose enjoyable books. No need to 'push them on' with educational and suitable ones.