1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended Year 5 English Texts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clarkster09, Sep 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. clarkster09

clarkster09 New commenter

Just re planning my MTP as on inset day, told we have to use a text based approach to our English lessons. Can anyone give me a good starting point for some texts appropriate for Year 5/6 please? Are there any good websites too? I would need to get a range of writing from them. Thank you for your help!

2. relais

relais New commenter

Room 13
    Stormbreaker
    The Secret Garden
    A Midsummer's Night Dream
    The Pig Heart Boy
    Macbeth

Lots of resources available, used them all mainly Y5, really good writing outcomes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

All above suggestions are good, but if it were me I'd also wanting to be try linking texts to our topic if it were possible and not 'forced for the sake of it'.

So what topics are you studying?

clarkster09 likes this.
  4. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

The Giant's Necklace, plus Street Child which we link to our Victorians topic.

5. clarkster09

clarkster09 New commenter

Good idea! We are studying Ancient Greece until Christmas so Percy Jackson and the Greek Heroes will be good start. I normally get bored with the book after about 2 weeks though. Ha!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Tales from the Aeniad- abbreviated version springs to mind. Though they're probably included in the Greek heroes?
    Aesop's Fables.Again quite short and you can do as many/ few as you'd like.

I'm sure there's a Time-slip story but can't at the moment remember either author or a title. (Been several years since we abandoned Ancient Greece.)

7. amelia765

amelia765 New commenter

Street Child
    Macbeth
    Kensukes Kingdom
    Pig Heart Boy