1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended Spelling Age Test?- Secondary Special Needs

Discussion in 'English' started by cw1979, Sep 7, 2010.

1. cw1979

cw1979 New commenter

Can anyone suggest a recommended Spelling Test for ages 11-16 across a range of abilities? I want to prove that using Synthetic Phonics alongside ICT (laptops) helps out students, particularly those with motor skill difficulties. I can find the Schonell free online test, but am not sure of how accurate is (I know they're never very accurate.) I also have a copy of the WRAT 4 Blue spelling Test (it has appeared from somewhere) but have no idea how the marks covert into spelling ages. This would be ideal, as I would be able to use the results for Access Arrangements.
    Any help will be very welcome. Thank you in advance.

2. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

We're still using the WRAT test, but the SEN department have invested in a new book, I'll get the reference from them tomorrow - we've taken over the reading and spelling tests in the English department and are using old format until we've got our heads around the new one.
    Will post tomorrow with details of new book.

3. GL ASSESSMENTS - used to be the old NFER stuff

4. really simple spelling test we use is the Blackwell Spelling Test. Gives pretty accurate (in my opinion) results and tests spelling age from 6-16. Email me if you want any more details.

5. Hi there

Is there any way you can send me the tests or point me in the right direction as to where to find them please

6. Dear Poster,

How do you detemine the spelling age from the results of the test? I have the test scores but dont know how to gain a spelling age.

Kind regards

7. abernethy0257

abernethy0257 New commenter

I'm in and BESDD secondary school, I use Vernon Spelling Test, however this was one I bought in from mainstream. But the SENCO agreed that the difference in my results of spelling ages with her WRAT spelling ages were negligible.