1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended reading Year 8 child?

Discussion in 'English' started by Feep1, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I'd be grateful if anyone could please recommend any decent fiction suitable for my daughter, currently in Year 8. She is high ability but tends to keep revisiting her favourite old stories rather than trying anything new. We have looked in Waterstones but all the latest releases for her age seem to be gothic vampire romances, which don't appeal to her (or me!). She doesn't particularly enjoy fantasy based stories but does enjoy adventure. Please help me in my quest to broaden her literary horizons! Any suggestions on classics or moderns would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. What are these old favourites?
    I remember at this age getting horribly bored with children's fiction but feeling alienated by adult fiction. The Hunger Games have come highly recommended to me- distopian adventure sort of thing. I wonder if Princess Bride would go over her head? Worth a shot- I struggled with it at her age (the structure bemused me) but once I got over that, loved it- still do. I think every teenager should read it.

3. At the minute she is reading books like the Malory Tower series, Tom's Midnight Garden, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc but she must have read each one about 20 times! Thanks for your suggestions - I've looked them up on Amazon and have been reading the reviews. I don't think she'll like The Hunger Games because they seem quite dark but the Princess Bride sounds quirky so she might enjoy its humour. I'll see what she thinks.
    Thanks again.

4. My Year 8 girls enjoy Journey to the River Sea (Eva Ibbotson); Malorie Blackman's Checkmate series; Private Peaceful (Michael Morpurgo); Meg Rosoff's novels; some classics like I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith); Michelle Harrison The Thirteen Treasures; Julia Donaldson; Sally Gardner's I, Coriander and The Red Necklace; Chains by Laurie Hulse Anderson - I don't know if she's read any of these. I could advise better if I knew what her favourite authors were like? However, none of these are hot off the press.

Gill Hall (Fiction Librarian)

5. Sorry, I didn't see this comment before I posted. Some of the choices I suggested might be OK but others possibly too adult. Has she read any other of the novels by Phillippa Pearce?

Gill

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

This is the truth: I was reading Dostoevsky and Enid Blyton at the same time.

I was lucky. I grew up near a brilliant library.

Back in the 60s, Birmingham's Acocks Green was blessed with one of the most wonderful public libraries. I went there at least three times a week.

I must say I'm surprised that she's still reading my beloved Malory Towers at fourteen, though I love re-reading my old Judy comics.

7. NEVER discount the value of a good Puffin Classic. they don't change the text but remove some of the more difficult sections - leaving space to enjoy the full text at an older and more mature age. they are FAB and I'd thoroughly recommend them to any Y8 interested in broadening their cultural horizons. you'll be surprised at the references she picks up in other contexts once she has a grasp of some of the classics of English Lit.

good luck - and lucky you for having an enthusiastic reader to share your love of books with. what a golden gift!

8. Thank you everyone for your many helpful suggestions. We will look at each and every one of them and see which ones she thinks she will enjoy. She still has book gift cards from Christmas so hopefully we will be able to spend them soon! I'm sure there must be something here that will tempt her.
    Kind regards.
    Feep1

9. Everything hallq said on his/her answer...PLUS...give her some Cynthia Voigt to read: start with 'Dicey's Song', then maybe 'Solitary Blue'...there are loads about the Tillermans after that! I would also recommend Katherine Patterson as an author great for Year 8 [​IMG]

10. I'd second most of these recommendations. My 12 year old loves I Capture the Castle, and the Chains / Forge series.
    There are lots of good historical adventure series for older girls/ young teens: The Cat Royal series by Julia Golding (historical adventure with a tiny bit of romance, lovely sparky heroine) is brilliant. My daughter also enjoys the Pimpernelles series set in the French Revolution and the Mary Hooper series set in Elizabeth I's court (I think At the House of the Magician is the first in the series.)

11. Do you think she'd like Rosemary Sutcliffe, Philippa Pearce, Penelope Lively, etc? They are a bit old-fashioned sometimes, but are actually quite good adventure stories. When I was Y8, (back in the Stone Age, obviously) i also liked Robert Westall a LOT.

12. Even more suggestions! Thank you all so very much. I really appreciate your help.