1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended reading material for all girls prep school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by munchausen, Feb 16, 2016.

1. munchausen

munchausen New commenter

Dear Theo and all,

I've been invited to interview at an all girls prep school and would like to do some reading up on the subject matter. I'm sure I recall seeing a thread on the forum which recommended a book which highlighted the benefits. A thread possibly written by yourself!

Q1. If not, do you have any recommendations for books/journals etc. ?

Q2. I have an interview with the head teacher and head of KS2 and then a second interview, titled Pastoral interview, with the deputy head. Do you know what the focus of the second interview will be?

Thanks for reading.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Read the school website and prospectus...read any links from there to the proprietors' site if there is one. Read the inspection report, though it may be out of date. A school is a school on the whole.

Pastoral will likely be about class teacher role, safeguarding, extra curricula and all that.

3. munchausen

munchausen New commenter

Thanks for replying but I don't think I made myself clear in my message! In terms of reading material I meant educational research/journals/articles/books which supports the benefits of girls learning in an all girls environment.

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I think all you really need could be found on the GSA/GDST website - as they are partly aimed at parents considering sending their daughters to an all-girls' school, they will most likely explain the benefits. Unless you really are into reading up on educational research and critical articles, I don't think it would be the best use of your time.

This topic might not even come up at interview! I've never applied for an all-girls' school but have alternated between all boys and co-ed, and never had any interview questions on the gender issue. I have always found panels to be more interested in practicalities rather than the more abstract issues. For example, academically selective schools will certainly want evidence that you are able to stretch and challenge the most able students; they are less likely to be interested in the extent to which you personally agree with the idea of selection by ability...

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They will want to know what you think, what your philosophy is, maybe how you see yourself teaching just girls. They definitely don't want to hear you rattle off research findings.

I now teach in an all boys school and it would have been a total waste of my time to read research articles for the benefits of single gender education. However reading the school's website and inspection report meant I could comment specifically on their own philosophy and teaching, which definitely helped.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Agreed. Your experiences and what you can bring to the pastoral side are much more important. I went from a one-term temporary at a girls independent to a one-year fixed term at a mixed grammar and back to girls independent (permanent, I hope). I gave examples from both schools, e.g. helping a student who sprained an ankle on the train to school or how one 6th former gained confidence to apply to university (doing really well now) - I feel most comfortable in a girls independent but gave examples overall. Read the website - not just your subject, but activities or other aspects of the school. Are there international students (I am and that was another good connection in interviews), from one area, etc? Be yourself but be knowledgeable about the school.

(apologies for any spelling errors - on phone)

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!

I haven't opened this thread before because:

a) the title Recommended reading material for all girls prep school suggested a library query, nothing to do with appointments or interviews

and

b) there was no tag @TheoGriff inside to call me to it nevertheless.

But I will start with the question: the answer is here.

I will add that the posters above have made excellent points. As @jarndyce says, the GSA website is helpful, as is a quick google . . .

Girls at single-sex schools outdo those in co-education .

Girls 'get better GCSE results in all-girl schools' - BBC News

What going to a girls' school really does to you - Telegraph

Although I also agree with all the posters who point out that practical evidence (i.e. your teaching and interview) will outweigh all the research quotes you might have on the tip of your tongue.

So back to preparation for that interview.

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

Good luck!