1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended Reading for Year 8/9s

Discussion in 'English' started by Nurseellie93, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Nurseellie93

Nurseellie93 New commenter

Hi all

I'm doing a research study in cognitive development and designing a wordsearch for my participants to complete. I wondered what you all used as in class reading for your year 8/9s? My participant is 13.5 years so looking for a text which I can extract words from to vaguely match his vocab level? I've read that 'To Kill a Mockingbird', '1984' and 'Lord of the Flies' are used with this age group a lot? Looking to avoid Shakespeare if possible. Thank you in advance! :)

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Lord of the Flies yes, 1984 probably not. Try The Hunger Games. Why would you avoid Shakespeare? You don't have to include thee, thou and durst - plenty of modern words in Shakespeare. He did invent/record a good 200 or so.

Out of interest, how would a wordsearch help you learn much about the cognitive development of a 13.5 year old? Genuinely interested in the methology here.

Nurseellie93 likes this.
  3. Nurseellie93

Nurseellie93 New commenter

Hiya, that's great thank you and v. Interesting point about Shakespeare! The aim of the study isn't to assess ability as such, it's a study of peer collaboration in problem solving. So the 13yo will work with an 11yo to solve firstly a simple word search based on Y6 SATS vocab and then they will complete a more complex word search together more suited to the 13 yo's vocab level (hence needing to know which book to extract vocab from). My hypothesis based on other research and theoretical accounts is that in the harder word search the older one will elicit more helping behaviour and speech than in the easy one. Of course this may not be the case so we shall see :) thank you for your help that's so useful!

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Ok. But why a word search? Why not a task that actually tests whether they can read/understand the vocabulary, rather than just spot a collection of letters? I mean, I could probably complete a word search in, for example, Finnish, without understanding any of the words I was looking for. I know you are looking for collaboration but it still seems an odd choice of task (as opposed to a crossword, gap fill, card sort, definition match, anagrams, etc).