1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommended books for NQTS starting in September!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by natalie28, May 21, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am a student qualifying this summer and have a job in a KS2 class starting in September, I just wondered if people could recommend any books that are a must have. Iv got the Sue Crawley "How to survive your first year in teaching", but i was also thinking of books that could be used for lesson ideas, sheets for homework etc... as whilst being a student, teachers have always lent them to me!

Thanks in advance!
    Natalie

2. I found that book a great companion during my NQT year, I was also given a copy of 100+ ideas for managing behaviour which I found really useful. I've seen a couple of those 100 idea books and they seem good, I think theres one on lesson planning and a few others.
    Best of luck for an extremely challenging but fantastic year.

3. Thanks for the advice, iv been reading it whilst on my final placement and its given me lots of ideas! Yes my current class teacher has got lots of the 100+ books for literacy and maths which i think are alright i just wondered if there was anything else out there to compare... havent heard of the 100+ ideas for managing behaviour but will definitely check that out.

4. Worth taking a subscription to the Hamilton Trust. A lot of their stuff is very good provided you adapt it for your class. £25 will give you access to UKS2 Literacy, Maths and Science.

5. Oh and Pie Corbett,s "Jumostart Literacy". Loads of great starter ideas.

6. Corbett's.

7. "Jumpstart Literacy". I can't believe it's taken 3 posts to get that right.

8. Haha! Iv just ordered jumpstart literacy as my classteacher recommended it also, and have been using Hamiliton Trust for the first time ever on this placement as the teacher subscribes so showed me his things, its great to use different parts that suit your own class and to get ideas from. Will definitely be subscribing from September! :D Can't believe i didnt know about it before this year. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Anymore must haves??

9. I really like the mental maths in minutes books by Andrew Brodie, each page is made up of 4 strips and can be used as a challenge to complete in 1 minute. My class really like them and sometimes I give them a full page and 5 minutes and they love trying to beat their own scores.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Jumpstart storytelling and jumpstart creativity are my most used, but the literacy and science ones are also both good.

I would also recommend 'Pimp your lesson'. Sounds weird but is a very enjoyable and easy read, while being full of fabulous little ideas to make your lessons outstanding.

11. Thanks for the advice Lorrpat and Minnimix, i will definitely look into the ones you have suggested! Hopefully this thread will be useful for lots of NQTS! Keep them coming!

12. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

This may be a bit previous but try to have a think about children's texts you'd like to use next year for literacy, whole class reading, guided reading etc , and read them. I also always ask my class for a recommended read during the holidays. Keeps you ahead of the next big thing. Also watch out for which books are being made not movies, we all went Spiderwick mad after the release of the movie.