1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations / opinions please for distance learning

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by KatieC1234, Feb 2, 2019.

1. KatieC1234

KatieC1234 New commenter

Hi there,

I’m looking to start a TA level 3 certificate soon and would like any recommendations or opinions of online distance learning courses. I will find it difficult at the moment to attend a college course (even the evening classes) due to childcare and my husband’s work pattern. My local infant school have said they are happy to offer me a placement so now I’m just looking for the course to go with it. I’ve found some big threads on here asking the same but they are several years old so I wonder if anyone has any more recent experience of completing a level 3 course via distance learning and could advise? Many thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi KatieC1234, you will know if you've looked at old threads that I always try to put people off on-line courses. That's mainly because I've personally met a number of people who have spent large amount of money and ended up with 'qualifications' that were not recognised anywhere - not worth the paper they're written on. However, I do understand that attending college is not possible or practical for everyone, and you have a good start with the offer of a placement at your local school.
    Make sure that whichever course you go for is CACHE regulated. I have no personal experience of this at all, but have read some very good things about Stonebridge College - might be worth starting with a look at their website. Good luck!

3. KatieC1234

KatieC1234 New commenter

Thanks, yes the Stonebridge course is one I’ve been looking at. I know it’s not ideal doing a distance learning course but I can’t really afford another day childcare for my youngest 2 and my husband works long hours so I’d struggle to get to an evening class in time. At least I can do the theory part of the course around the kids and save my child-free time for volunteering / placement which is what I’m most looking forward to anyway! This will be a career change for me from Physio to teaching (eventually once all the kids are at school) via TA for a few years (hopefully!).