1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for new books please!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by airy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. How about the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen Donaldson? Fantasy but character based. If you like Isabelle Allende you could try Gabriel Garcia Marquez - maybe Love in the Time of Cholera? Or AS Byatt's Virgin in the Garden series?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

How about David Mitchell
    1000 Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. A good long read. A love story, an interesting historical setting and great characterisation.

3. When I told my son that some planets are bigger than our sun he said " Its a shame the Earth isnt bigger "

4. I don't really know authors but I do know what books I like!
    'The Help' is a great character-based novel.
    'The Island' by Victoria Hislop (although you probably have read it, most people have!)
    'Atonement' is brilliant.
    'The Truth About Melody Brown' is a lovely book full of different characters and event seemingly isolated but by the end they are all really linked. Roughly, it's a light-hearted book about a woman's search to find the truth about her childhood.
    'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' is a wonderful book written from the point of view of a teenager who is autistic, just brilliant.
    If non-fiction is something you like (or even if you don't usually read non-fiction) Extreme Rambling is a fantastic book written by Mark Thomas which is an account of his time walking the Israeli Barrier. Very funny and brilliantly written.
    'Penguins Stopped Play' A team of eleven village cricketers attempt to play the game on every continent. Now, I hate cricket but this book is very funny and more about the adventure than the so called 'sport'
    Poetry? I love reading poetry books, I mainly get them from the library, Christina Rosetti is a superb poet, well worth a read. If a selection of different poems might attract you, I'm currently dipping in and out of the 'Pleasure of Poetry' by Kingsley Amis which a huge variety of poems for all tastes.
    Hope there's something of some interest there.

5. Themes seem to appear and disappear
    The Help or Mudbound recreate the 1960;s USA full of injustices
    Kindle best Sellers highlight - incest at trhe moment
    From my book club current list
    Have you read ?????
    The Poisonwood Bible
    The Death of a Hedgehog
    Cuttting for Stone
    Pigeon English
    Before I go to sleep
    50 Shades of Gray
    Between Shades of Gray
    The Dark Side of Love
    Steve Jobs - Biography
    Game of Thrones
    The Secrret Daughter
    Try Joanna Trolope - relationship basis closer to the mark than most people
    Just a few suggestions - we are an eclectic group here!!