1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for holiday reading - nothing too heavy

Discussion in 'Book club' started by way2serious, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Am going on holiday next week and am looking for some recommendations of books to buy or download onto my Kindle. I would like something not too heavy - light romantic perhaps?? Have read Maeve Binchy, Rosamumnde Pilcher and the like in the past and some of the more modern chick lit as well.
    All suggestions welcome of anything you have enjoyed!

2. Am going on holiday next week and am looking for some recommendations of books to buy or download onto my Kindle. I would like something not too heavy - light romantic perhaps?? Have read Maeve Binchy, Rosamumnde Pilcher and the like in the past and some of the more modern chick lit as well.
    All suggestions welcome of anything you have enjoyed!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Penelope Vincenzi - they are heavy in terms of weight but not in terms of content. I would describe them as old-fashioned chick lit. Lots of money, glamour and betrayal. Love it! I have never looked for them on Kindle though.

4. Perhaps the classic novel Effi Briest by Theodore Fontane. Not obviously heavy but yet so profound.

5. when god was a rabbit. absolutely brilliant. hilarious, heart wrenching story. not too heavy and perfect for holidays!!

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

definitely agree, I'm about half way through this, and loving it! Very funny in places, but poignant, too. A brilliant insight into the horrors of growing up!

7. Effi Briest? Holiday reading? hahahahaha! - good book though!
    X