1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for families?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fraseman, Oct 25, 2015.

1. fraseman

fraseman New commenter

I'm looking for year leader/deputy head role's abroad. Any advice/ suggested locations etc?

I've two young boys (1 & 3) and a wife who's also a teacher.

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

You know at that age I don't think it matters to a great extent. They say children adapt better than adults so maybe you need to think more about what you are looking for. You can surprise yourself so keep an open mind. Riyadh in Saudi is one of the more difficult locations but I knew a Canadian coupe with two young kids - one of whom was born there - and they loved it and stayed many years.

Maybe, in your position relative to the kids, I'd be thinking about good schooling and medical support. Europe based work would also mean shorter flight times for visiting relatives.

3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Taiwan! Great place for families. Good schools and medical care. Taipei is a very friendly city - easy to navigate with lots of English signs. Plenty of parks and other activities for families. Great beaches. If you want any more info feel free to PM me.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

1. depends if you're looking for money / security / adventure.
    2. If this is your first time overseas, don't expect the better schools to consider you for a senior leadership role; though many desperate schools won't care either way. Many schools have taken on a fresher from the UK and regretted the decision within a month.
    3. It depends on your subjects: what can you and spouse offer.

As the frog says, some will enjoy hell holes like Riyadh, whilst other will hate paradises like Malaysia or Thailand. Consider your reasons for wanting to travel. If it is to get away from the hardships of the UK, rethink it: there's plenty of hardships overseas to counter any gains.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I hear all sorts of schools are interested in stay at home types from Milton Keynes, especially if they are used to living in a bedsit.