1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for EAL courses please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by eliz9390, Jun 12, 2011.

  1. Hi all,
    I'm interested in gaining a EAL / TEFL qualification to be able to use alongside my degree in English to teach EAL in this country and/or abroad to children and adults. I've seen some advertised as 'intense weekend' courses to more lengthy two year courses.
    Could anyone advise of a course that they have completed or heard about? What's the official or most recognised qualifcation that I would need?
    Many thanks in advance!
  2. Go for the CELTA.
    If you do a search on this forum you will probably find lots of useful information as I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered many times before.
  3. RSA/CELTA intensive 1 month course with International House is very good.
  4. nemo.

    nemo. Occasional commenter

    Hi the celta of course (or the trinity tesol which is equivalent). Pay is lousy in UK - language schools pay 9 pounds an hour! It isn't a teaching qualification for children although in many countries they will accept a celta as such. There is an add on cert (2 weeks) that focuses on young learners that is far rarer to find. Worth doing if you never taught before as a celta doesn't cover behaviour management
  5. happygreenfrog

    happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

    I've reserached this myself and concluded CELTA was the best for me, though I already hold a PGCE. Just thought it may broaden my horizons and offer scope for private tutoring in teh future.
  6. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    I too was wondering about this.
    Has anyone done any of the Bilingualism in Education courses offered by Birmingham University? They are due to start a complete distance learning option (they have this already but requires you to attend days in the UK) from August next year which sounds ideal.
    Any thoughts? [​IMG]
  7. Many thanks for all your replies and info about different courses, all greatly appreciated! [​IMG]
    I've been doing a bit more research and found the CELTA (and its equiv Cert. TESOL) are the most recognised here and abroad. Just got to find one locally that fits around my busy schedule!
    FAO:<u> rednelly84</u> - I'm not sure about that particular course, however during my vast research I've found that courses such as the CELTA / Cert.TESOL include classroom teaching as a must, apparently without this you're not qualified?
  8. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    A CELTA is what you need. It costs about a thousand quid and it is very hard work, very practical, takes about a month and virtually guarantees you a job at the end of it. International House are the outfit to do it with. Don't do the online CELTA because it is rubbish.
  9. nemo.

    nemo. Occasional commenter

    Hi you can a celta for 800 quid in good places. If unemployed it was half that btw still prob is. Free if your east European (there was a scheme may have stopped). With a pgce a celta is worth doing but teachers usually find it harder as school teachng is usually didactic and celta teaching student centred. You have to pass 6 lesson observations as it is a practical thing teaching! Just imagine a heart surgeon with an online degree. Seen in it a book so must be easy to do lol. Online tefl certs are a con to be honest

Share This Page