1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for classics (aka books that are free on Kindle)

Discussion in 'Book club' started by rosaespanola, Jul 15, 2013.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I'm working on loading up my Kindle before I set off on a month-long trip to Thailand, and feeling very joyful that half of my backpack isn't going to be taken up with books like it always has been on previous trips - this is what Kindles were invented for as far as I'm concerned! Having bought a good number of the books on my wishlist, I decided I should really stop spending any more money, so I went to search through the free classics - but oh my goodness, there's a lot of them. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for classic novels that would suit someone whose taste in classics is more towards books featuring drama, adventure, mystery, mad people and the seedy underbelly of Victorian society, as opposed to ones about irritating girls in floofy dresses whinging about not being able to find a husband. Think Brontes, Bram Stoker, Jules Verne and Oscar Wilde, rather than Jane Austen et al. Thank you!

2. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Dorian Grey is good, and if you want something darker from Hardy, Tess of the D'Ubervilles - not really mystery, but dark.

3. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Oh and of course Wuthering heights, though I must admit that I liked the first half then got a bit bored with the second half - is that heresy?

4. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I've already read all of them, but you're definitely spot on with the sort of things I like - they're three of my favourites! Does anyone have any recommendations for books/authors along similar lines that are maybe a bit less well-known (I don't want to bore you listing all the classics I've ever read, but the list isn't massive and it's mostly made up of the sort of things that most people have read at some stage).

5. 576

576 Established commenter

6. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Have you read any Wilkie Collins? The Moonstone and The Woman in White are great reads.

7. Load up on Edgar Rice Burroughs - Tarzan, John Carter's adventures on Barsoom (sorry Mars), Pellucidar (inner Earth series).

Or Scarlet Pimpernel.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And don't forget that you can get books other than classics for free!

<h4 class="post-name with-summary">Free e-books and newspapers for your Kindle, iRiver, Sony Reader, iPad etc.</h4>

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations