1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

recommendations for child educated out of school

Discussion in 'Science' started by joannagb, Mar 1, 2016.

1. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Hi all, sorry to burst into your forum.

I'm tutoring a Y8 child outside of school, his attendance was extremely poor and he was permanently excluded from first his school and then the PRU. He has been completely without education since April of Y7. My job is to engage him with learning, with English and Maths I'm making progress of a sort, but I'm struggling with science.

I need to teach him some absolute basics; he's mid to high ability, I have no history of his learning at all.

Today I did a practical taken from my daughter's newspaper... and it seemed to interest him, I'm looking for ideas which are really simple, interesting and, as a bonus, might be connected with the KS3 SoW, I realise it's a big ask.

I have no idea what the future holds for this child, but I'm certain that an interest in learning will make what has so far been an exceptionally troubled life a little less difficult, which is why I'm jumping through hoops for him. Do you have any ideas that might help me? Long or short term would be brilliant. Thanks.

2. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

joannagb likes this.
  3. wrbdb

wrbdb New commenter

Make a Cartesian diver, good for basics and very fascinating.

joannagb likes this.
  4. joannagb

THanks, I'll do both!

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Find out what he's interested in - cars, planes, guns, rockets, bikes, space etc and teach him little bits of how it works - what makes car wheels turn, how tyres inflate, how a bullet fires and travels. Don't worry about a syllabus at this stage. No writing, no workbooks, just verbally and with real physical examples if possible, or videos if not. And make it interesting. As you gain his confidence, start to weave in the correct terminology, underlying principles and units etc into your discussions, and see how it goes. You might be surprised.

joannagb likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Test materials with a magnet to see which ones are attracted
    Look at how a compass behaves near different objects
    Measure the times for different toy cars to roll down a slope and try to explain the differences
    Change the angle of the slope
    Look at the growth of buds to leaves on plants if there are suitable plants to observe
    Hang weights on the string of a party popper and find the force to detonate it.
    See how long it takes different sized pieces of paper to fall to the floor
    Look at how the length of string affects the time for a pendulum to swing
    Compare the colour of tea if you leave teabags in water for different lengths of time or different temperatures
    Grow cress seeds in different conditions
    Good luck!

joannagb likes this.
  7. joannagb

@phlogiston @Scintillant @wrbdb @msuxg Thank you so much for your advice, I have done some of the things that you've suggested. As a result he has started to be interested in learning again - and he hasn't called me a C*** for nearly 2 weeks. Such a huge difference, I can't thank you enough, it's made a real difference.

msuxg likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

LOL, well done you.

Two weeks is good going! Onwards and upwards :)

joannagb likes this.