1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

recommendations for book to read to year 1's for interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tomaldo10, Jan 25, 2018.

1. tomaldo10

tomaldo10 New commenter

Hi,

I've got an interview for a PGCE schools direct approach where part of the interview is a 20 minute book reading to year 1 pupils. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books i could use?

At the moment i'm looking at 'the detective dog' by Julia Donaldson, which i do think the children will enjoy. However, i'm not sure if it will be long enough to read for 20 minutes.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Tom

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would always encourage anyone to stick to a book with which they're familiar. It's easier to 'pad out' some extra questions for a book which you know well, than using a book recommended by others , but limits you if you need extra material at the interview.

Don't forget the 'Stop and think about . . '
    What is being said here?
    Who recognises this word? What do you think it means?
    Who can guess what's going to happen on the next page? etc type ?s.

So much easier if you're well-versed with the book.
    Means you can easily extend that 'reading time'.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    tomaldo10 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. tomaldo10

tomaldo10 New commenter

Thanks for the reply, I am fairly familiar with the detective dog, just wasn't too sure if i could pan it out enough to last 20 minutes. I agree with what you are saying though so will certainly start rehearsing reading it and see if i can stretch it out. Thanks again