1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for App Development Software

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mjsit1, May 20, 2019.

1. mjsit1

mjsit1 New commenter

I am looking at starting a Cambridge Technical Unit of App development but don't know where to start with App development software.

Any ideas of anything that is free, paid for, cheap, expensive but good?

2. dalersmith

dalersmith New commenter

Someone may correct me later, however, at the last CPD session on this unit my colleague was advised that students could make mock screens using any software they wanted. This isn't really for developing apps more developing prototype ideas, as such you could create prototype screens for your app using MS PowerPoint.

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I suppose you could just draw out your ideas on paper with a HB pencil and colour it in with some Sharpies none of this computer nonsense
    but anyway...

I'd have a look at Appy Builder
    https://appybuilder.com/

Even an ACOG* like myself managed to put together a decent demo app for one of our local history groups using this
    *Ancient Curmudgeonly Old Git

4. IT Lecturer

IT Lecturer New commenter

Checkou out Apps For Good

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Have a look at App Inventor (free from MIT)
    https://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

6. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

x-thunkable.

it's an updated version of MIT App Inventor (in that it actually works properly)

Create real (i.e publishable) apps both Android and Iphone. Free and easy to use.

Superb software.