1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for a recent short story convert

Discussion in 'Book club' started by 16 Heath, May 22, 2011.

1. Recently converted. Now I am time starved, can appreciate the short story as a satisfying read in snatched moments having shunned them as "too shallow".

Anyone else had the same experience? Any recommendations?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Rose Tremain, Penelope Lively

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Annie E Proulx

4. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

Raymond Carver - legendary, gritty realism. Excellent stuff.
    W Somerset Maugham - marvellous stuff.
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez - his magic realistic short stories are a bit intense, but good stuff.
    Jorge Luis Borges - frankly a bit odd at times, but genius. Absolutely.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Runyon on Broadway - Damon Runyon - snappy vignettes of American gangsters in the 1920s-30s. Timeless classic.

6. Thanks everyone. Off to local bookshop now with my trusty recommendations. Probably still be in there for an hour!

7. Have been meaning to read something from this author. Thanks for the nudge!

8. Roald Dahl's short story collection - macabre, dark, brilliant!!!

9. Of course! I remember reading one as a child when I was too immature to undersand the story. Will re-visit. Thanks

10. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

About Love and other stories by Anton Chekov. Not The End Of The World by Kate Atkinson

11. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

"May we Borrow your Husband?" by Graham Greene for something classical is brilliant and Maeve Binchley has a few books (short stories) for less formal reading (sorry can't remember titles off-hand)