1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations: Derby supply agencies

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by imaginepigs, Sep 24, 2018.

1. imaginepigs

imaginepigs New commenter

Hi,
    I have recently started working as a supply TA in Derby and have not had any work this term. I am with three agencies and considering signing up with more; does anyone have any recommendations for agencies?
    Thank you!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I am not in Derby but I suggest you do the following:

Make a list of all the schools in your area that you want to work at. Phone the schools and ask to speak to the cover manager which is probably going to be after school or see if you can email them if you can't speak to them by phone.

Ask them which agencies are the best and the ones they use.

It is still early in the term and you may find you get work soon.

Best regards

Pepper5

JohnJCazorla and imaginepigs like this.
  3. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Not allowed to name names on here anymore which limits it a lot. It's still that dead spot of the year anyway - you're not going to start getting busy until mid October at the earliest really. Not sure who's got the work these days - I'm only just getting back into things now after a few years out so I'm just registered with the people I was before.

Personally though I'd look at WHERE agencies are running their Derby parts of the business from. It's a bit of a funny dead patch agency-wise where you can get situations where they'll bounce the Derbyshire business work between Nottingham and Sheffield offices as they're never quite sure where to fit it properly, or a lot run it out of Nottingham which obviously works better for one side of the city than the other, or they're trying to work up from Leicester so the geography can be somewhat lacking ("just down the road from you" is a bit of a stretch when the road is the M1).

pepper5 and imaginepigs like this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Day2day Primary. Last September I had ONE DAY. Four years ago I worked every day. So far this academic year, nada.
    Do you notice a trend?

pepper5 and imaginepigs like this.
  5. imaginepigs

imaginepigs New commenter

Thank you all; I suppose the best time to sign up with agencies would be while I'll have a low chance of getting work. I had a half day yesterday, which was great!

6. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I'm nearly the same patch as you - have had nowt so far, not really expecting anything much till nearer October half term to be fair.