1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for maths book?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alsoamum, Apr 22, 2012.

1. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

Does anyone have any recommendations for a maths subject knowedge book for a key stage 2 teacher? I've been teaching early years for ages and start a new job in UKS2 soon so would like to brush up on my maths, especially the subject specific vocabulary.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

Does anyone have any recommendations for a maths subject knowedge book for a key stage 2 teacher? I've been teaching early years for ages and start a new job in UKS2 soon so would like to brush up on my maths, especially the subject specific vocabulary.

Does anyone have any ideas?

3. Try the NCETM website. They have a subject knowledge audit and then areas you can read up on, depending on where you have strengths and weaknesses.

4. Derek Haylock's book is good. I know its on the reading list for many PGCE/BEd courses. It deals with chn's reasoning with maths and discusses common misconceptions. It was the only book on the reading list that I found useful!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-Explained-Primary-Teachers-Haylock/dp/1848601972/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335108338&sr=8-2