1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for A Christmas Carol/Romeo & Juliet text

Discussion in 'English' started by cheese_cake, Oct 5, 2017.

1. cheese_cake

cheese_cake New commenter

Hi there,

I have recently started as Curriculum manager in an alternative provision school. Although we are only supposed to have students for 6 week placements they often end up with us for the duration of their school career. The school has been open for 4 years but has a very generalised curriculum, which I am currently changing. I need to order some accessible copies of A Christmas Carol & Romeo & Juliet (we have nothing). The students we have are all reluctant learners and have come to us as an alternative to permanent exclusion. Can anyone recommend specific editions of these texts that make Shakespeare and Dickens less daunting for these students?

Thank you in advance,
    Eve

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The CGP revision books are very popular in schools and an excellent study guide. They are available on their web site or Amazon. You can use these alongside the texts as a study aid.

For Shakespeare, have a look at No Fear Shakespeare edition of Romeo and Juliet. It has the original text on one side and a modern translation on the other. Try to buy one copy first and see what you think. This is available on Amazon.

For general resources, look on this site for things you can use. Some are free , others you have to purchase but even they are reasonably priced.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. cheese_cake

cheese_cake New commenter

Thank you pepper5, I'd come across the No fear before but didn't realise they did paper copies. It is great!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Also, have a look on Amazon at the graphic novel versions of Christmas Carol and R&J - there's a manga R&J where Romeo is a rock star :D

Mrsmumbles and pepper5 like this.
  6. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I put an abridged version of Romeo and Juliet up as a free download on here (plus a revision workbook). I used to teach in an Alternative Provision setting too, and found that this script was good enough to get people through (admittedly that was on the old AQA Lit Cert).