1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend work places in Dubai (or avoid)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 123asd, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hello

I am new to the forum. Could someone please recommend best places to work in Dubai (or place to avoid). I do understand by reading the rules that names are not allowed, so please PM me instead. Thank you and have a great day.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, you could join the ISR.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

you have already missed the boat on one of the best schools. They advertised before Christmas and are interviewing now (Secondary and Primary).
    You need to be looking now, regularly as many good schools will be advertising in th enext few weeks.

4. Thanks for your reply, although identifying which schools are good and bad (having read many of the posts in this forum) seems to be more tricky than I originally thought it would be.

The ISR sounds good (terrible looks for a website by the way) by the way.

Additional comments are more than welcome. Thanks.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

One man's meat is another man's poison, 123asd. A school might not suit another teacher, but you might well be very happy there. I am a class teacher and at the moment I have a delightful Year 5 class. I might well be very unhappy at my present school if I were to have a different class of children. If you have just been teaching in Africa, then your new school's teaching resources might seem to be wonderful, whereas a teacher coming from a school in Europe might think that they are pretty dreadful.
    It is not the looks of the ISR website that are the issue, 123asd. The content of some of the ISR is really the heart of the matter. Some schools have received many very negative reviews - one wonders how they stay in business - and one cannot help wondering if the old adage holds true, "There is no smoke without fire".

6. The problem with ISR is that many of the ´good´schools in the Middle East are not on there.In Dubai and Doha the D.C. colleges are both reputable and offer good if not excellent working conditions. The Doha one is advertising now. The schools with British in their names are worth looking at in Oman and some emirates. The trouble with this forum is that you have to be vague to avoid being deleted so that makes it difficult to name both good and bad. The bad you can find on ISR (though if you visit you may never teach internationally because of the horror stories). The good, well maybe the British Schools of the Middle East (BSME) web site may be a place to start, then you could try cross referencing with ISR or with a forum search on here. Good luck.