1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me some books please!

Discussion in 'English' started by claireym, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I am new to this forum and am an English teacher looking to start teaching a short course in creative writing to years 6-9 and 10-13 (two separate courses).
    The course will consist of some work with springboard texts as a lead in to some creative writing. Can anyone suggest teen-friendly texts that would fit in with the following:

Looking into the future
    Magic / fantasy
    An important meeting between two people
    Strong emotions
    Dramatic tension

I am looking for extracts rather than whole texts.

2. I am new to this forum and am an English teacher looking to start teaching a short course in creative writing to years 6-9 and 10-13 (two separate courses).
    The course will consist of some work with springboard texts as a lead in to some creative writing. Can anyone suggest teen-friendly texts that would fit in with the following:

Looking into the future
    Magic / fantasy
    An important meeting between two people
    Strong emotions
    Dramatic tension

I am looking for extracts rather than whole texts.

3. The parting of Lyra and her deamon in 'The Amber Spyglass' by Philip Pullman would be perfect for dramatic tension / strong emotions. Painfully beautiful writing! 'Dracula' also good for tension - the bit where he's trying to escape from the room in Castle Dracula. Good luck.

4. There's a brilliant bit in Talking in Whispers by James Watson that describes pain - it's the bit where the character is electrocuted (!!! - it's ok for year 9). He describes pain using beautiful metaphorical language. I read this with students and then get them to write their own version of a time when they were in pain using metaphors and the results are always astonishingly good.

5. Hello,
    Harry Potter and Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin are good for magic.
    I think the tension in Crime and Punishment is brilliant - but it may be a little too difficult for some pupils. If you do a search for Short stories/ghost stories on google you can find some good stories where the writer builds up tension very well.
    All the best
    Cherry