1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend me a film

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perky_panda, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Hi, I am running low on films on love film and having spent ages looking on HMV etc I can't seem to find many. I like rom-coms, don't mind the usual girly flick, quite like supernatural stuff (but not horror) and like family films. Anyone seen a film recently? or one you think everyone should see that I can add to my list?
    Thanks, perky x

2. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Watched 'Life As We Know It' the other day. Rom-com starring Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel. Really enjoyed it.

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

made in dagenham is great.
    tamara drew is ok for a feet up and choc couple of hours, too.

4. On my list at the moment:

Sherlock Holmes
    Pretty Woman
    The Inbetweeners
    Alfie
    An Education
    Black Swan
    Breakfast At Tiffanys
    Closer
    Inception
    Chocolat

5. Romy and Michelle's High school reunion. Chick-flick, but very bearable. Even men secretly like it.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I had Bridesmaids for Christmas and loved it but you've probably already seen that.
    I have seen a couple of films recently that were unexpectedly enjoyable: Love happens (Jennifer Aniston chick-flick but a bit different), Up in the Air (George Clooney as a cynical travelling business man, superb!).

7. Thanks for the ideas so far, have added quite a few but have also seen quite a few, seem to be running out of chick-flicks to see now :(

8. Princess Bride

9. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not - French film with subtitles (Audrey Tautou), a chick-flick but not as you might expect.....................

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I love that. The dance at the end is a joy.
    Really enjoyed Midnight in Paris ( Woody Allen's latest and it's lovely) and it is on DVD . Watch out for My Week with Marilyn too - loved it but it can't be on DVD yet

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Apparently it is [​IMG]

12. Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    not chick flicks but both quite funny.

13. Have put some of the films which aren't out yet on my list for when they are released. Have added a few but any more recommendations would be fab!

14. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

27 Dresses is good- quite sweet. Also Knocked Up was amusing (also Katherine Heigl (sp?))
    Contagion is worth a look, also The Next Three Days (Russell Crowe, (but) very good).

15. If you like Sci Fi and Comedy, Paul is very funny and quite sweet.

Sort of rom com, if you haven't seen it, Ghost Town made me laugh.

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Legally Blonde.
    Not one of the greatest films ever but diverting enough.

17. The Family Man- not a comedy but enjoyable
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding - though you've maybe already seen that?
    Ten Things I Hate About You.
    The most recent film of that type I've seen (I think) was The Proposal - which was good enough, though nothing outstanding - except I couldn't believe Sandra Bullock is the age she is :)

18. Just don't expect anything like Sherlock Holmes [​IMG]
    I hated it - but I might not have, if it had been called something else .. I was just expecting a completely different film.

19. Why not go back to the really old stuff like 'steel magnolias' makes me cry every time! Also old little house on the prairie as that too is blubber worthy. Failing that my son's girlfriend loves watching 'Titanic' over and over. I also like kids films too the new Kung fu panda was great.

20. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

The Ninth Configuration.
    William Peter Blatty considers it the true sequel to The Exorcist. I find it a life-affirming film - even if you have to go through the madness to get there first. Very funny, very sad, very violent.
    Probably my favourite film of all time.