1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend good photo editing software

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumbleweed, Aug 24, 2019.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi.
    My mum was the most amazing artist, and her ' thing' was mostly cakes.
    I'm in the process of creating a book of her cakes and have digitalised over 500 cake photos.

But mum was not a photographer and many of the cakes are blurred or over exposed etc.

Can anyone recommend simple but good editing, preferably for Pc that might help? Most of the photo book creators I've looked at don't edit the photos beyond crop and colour effects. I don't mind paying a monthly subscription for quality.

Thanks, really appreciate advice,

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

There is a program called GIMP which is free and provides much the same functionality as Photoshop. Whether it would be able to do anything for the blurring I don't know but it has lots of plug-ins which add special functions. It does have a built in blur/sharpen tool.

3. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

I use GImp which is free but also have Corel AfterShot which I had to buy, if I remember it wasn't too expensive but I've had it for a few years now.
    Anyway, it has a very simple 'sharpening' action and I have been very impressed at how it can improve the look of some of my photos.
    Gimp is very like photoshop and also has a sharpening feature, but while I like it for other things, I find the sharpening much easier to get right in Aftershot.

I would try Gimp initially and see how you manage it, then if you need something quicker/easier/better then look around or other options.

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have been using Faststone Image Viewer for years, and am very satisfied with it. Free download off the interweb, but you can "donate". I wouldn't pay for one. It handles my stuff ok, but blurred is blurred, you can only "correct" so much.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

https://www.darktable.org/

free to download - windows and linux versions

The software for Google Picasa is still available for free download too

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not really helpful...

But on a flight I watched a guy on his laptop editing a photo... he was removing beach litter from a photo... turned it from a beach covered in rubbish to a pristine sandy shore. Then he rearranged the clouds to his liking. Was fascinating to watch... not something i'd do on our pics but maybe he was a professional.

Anyway... whatever he was using was really good.

Lanokia; prattling on while being no help whatsoever

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Thanks. I shall be testing out the recommendations once I've tidied my shed.....I could be quite some time.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

GIMP and Irfan View are both free and probably provide enough flexibility for your needs.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'd buy a cheap previous version of Photoshop from ebay. You'll never outgrow it, it will do more than you'll ever need and with an intuitive interface. There's endless tutorials and videos out there showing you how to do anything.

10. arta82359

arta82359 New commenter

For those looking to simplify repeatable operations like resizing and watermarking I recommend Photoshop