1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend a Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Mar 5, 2012.

1. I love cooking and trying new recipes and thought people on here must do too.... So here is a thread to recommend your best recipes.

I'll kick us off with a brand new discovery of mine. You need a slow cooker but I guess you could use a caserole dish. I chopped up lots of veg: parsnips, sweet potato, potato, carrots, tomatoes, onions, etc. I then made some stock using veg stock powder (I also added some chicken stock but you could easily leave this out), put it all in the slow cooker with about 400ml of cier and a bay leaf, salt and pepper. Go to work. When you return, add a couple of spoons of garlic and herb philly or own brand equivalent. Done. Oh, you add dumplings for a real treat but it's very filling as it is.

2. Grr I meant cider, not cier!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

you need to put this onto Cookery - you will get so many suggestions it will turn you dizzy!

4. I quite fancy cier!

Buy some really fresh smoked haddock. Poach in milk and combine with peas,mushrooms,leeks,rice cooked al dente. Add a good dollop of curry paste. Lovely.

5. Ooh the haddock one sounds fab. I'm too inexperienced to whack it on cookery - excuse the pun but they'd eat me alive!

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've already posted this one on Cookery and on the weightloss thread but I've just thoroughly enjoyed a bowlful of it so I'll share it again. This serves 2 greedy pigs or 2 plus a lunch the next day:
    Finely chop and onion and fry (sometimes I add garlic, depends on my mood). Add chopped mushrooms (I usually use a 4 pack of the bigguns) and fry until cooked. Put 120g of wholemeal pasta on to cook in a separate pan.
    When the onion and mushrooms are cooked then add a teaspoon of mixed herbs and a tin of chopped toms and simmer while the pasta cooks.
    When the pasta is done, drain and stir into the pasta with a tin of tuna and a tablespoon of creme fraiche. Top with breadcrumbs mixed with grated cheese and grill until brown and crispy.

7. Cheats Chocolate Cheesecake
    1 x packet digestives or other 'plain' biscuit of your choice
    1 x tub chocolate philidelphia cheese.
    Spread philly on biscuit of choice to required thickness and eat!
    Particularly nice with a cup of tea!
    [​IMG]

8. Ha ha How did I know the philly would make an appearance?!

Anyone ever tried chocolate gravy? Great with lamb. You can't taste the chocolate but you CAN taste the difference. Use one square of high quality chocolate in your usual gravy mix.

9. Sorry! I couldn't resist!
    Never tried cooking with it myself, but I did have chicken with chocolate when I was in Mexico. Like you say, you can't really taste the chocolate, but it was very tasty all the same!!

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Unfortunately cookery as a subject, no longer exists!! I trained as one, but now teach EFL.