1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recognsing whole, half and quarter turns...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cazg777, Mar 23, 2011.

1. thanks very much for your help, I was hoping for something a bit more interactive. I will keep hunting. I think this lesson has the potential for being very fun, i just need to find a good idea!

2. inq

inq

I took mine outside and in pairs they had to try and give each other directions to places around the playground e.g. between the tree and the gate, they had to say 20 steps forward, quarter turn right, 15 steps forward etc. They really seemed to enjoy it and soon got the idea of using a half turn if their partner had gone too far.

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Can you Line Dance? Lots of line dances have half and quarter turns as part of the routine. It'd be a great PE lesson!

4. I just taught this to my class, and we used compass directions to help.

Children started by standing up and turning in directions shouted by me/TA, then some children gave directions. After, lower ability children worked in pairs giving each other instructions, working with TA, while others had a treasure map with a list of steps including turns to follow to find a prize.

5. Hi!

I know this is years two late but I was just hunting for the same inspiration! I have just come with an idea of letting them create dances with whole, half and quarter turns in-just thought I would share :)

Thanks