1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recognition (or lack of1) GTP in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by dollydiamond222, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I have posted on this before but just to let any one interested know, I have started a blog called http://www.recognisegtp.blogspot.com because I am massively hacked off that I cannot teach in Australia because they do not recognise the GTP. I am an Aussie who trained via the GTP. I have written various letters, icluding one to the federal minster for Education etc.

I have had email contact with people who are in a similar situation. Maybe we can change their minds?

Also, ignore the about me description. It is linked to a family/friends type blog we are doing and I can't change the format.

http://www.recognisegtp.blogspot.com

2. I have posted on this before but just to let any one interested know, I have started a blog called http://www.recognisegtp.blogspot.com because I am massively hacked off that I cannot teach in Australia because they do not recognise the GTP. I am an Aussie who trained via the GTP. I have written various letters, icluding one to the federal minster for Education etc.

I have had email contact with people who are in a similar situation. Maybe we can change their minds?

Also, ignore the about me description. It is linked to a family/friends type blog we are doing and I can't change the format.

http://www.recognisegtp.blogspot.com

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Can you explain to me exactly what the GTP route is?

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Cancel that last question, I just read your blog. I guess the problem is that as we are trying to have teaching recognised as a profession why would the government want to take on people who do not have a University qualification in education?

We do have internships here in Australia but they are at the end of the MTeach or BEd programmes. They provide the much needed classroom exposure for longer periods of time and also give people the professional qualifications necessary.

Were you not aware of the requirements in Australia before you decide to qualify in this way? Also, I noticed in your letter that you were talking about the 'media reports' of teacher shortages. There are shortages in some areas. Maths, senior Science and Special Education but that is about it. If you teach other secondary subjects or primary then you are looking at a long, long wait (in the state system).

I do feel for your frustration but I think the GTP was probably formulated to address the chronic shortages in the UK over the past decade. Until that situation occurs here I think it is unlikely that your qualifications will be recognised. Having said that, there probably will be a shortage in a few years as the baby boomers start retiring.

Perhaps you could get significant credit for a DipEd for the work you have already done. It seems like the only way to go in the current climate.

5. It's crazy how life can bring us up against brick walls isn't it? I'm going the opposite route to you (Australian trying to get back into UK via teaching) and although it seems a straightforward process, I have come up against the most ludicrous obstacles I never DREAMED I would encounter...including finding out last week that I can not teach in England...EVER. Just like that. Why? Because I worked a few days in London a couple years ago and the agency I worked for failed to advise me on QTS.

I think the NZ system of assessing it case by case is a good idea.

Have you looked into NSW? I'm Qld trained but completed a few of my pre-service practicums in NSW schools (1999, 2000) and recall teachers there telling me that NSW was much more flexible regarding teacher registration. Apparently there was a groundsman in the school who had just walked into a classroom one day and started teaching...okay, maybe that was a tall story but it may be worth looking into? Surely experience counts for something? And keep looking into independent schools because they can sometimes be a lot more flexible regarding teaching quals (it was an independent school who hired the groundsman!) Good luck!

Do NOT try Qld by the way. I TRAINED here a few short years ago and STILL they won't let me teach any more than day-to-day supply until I have carried out some interview/essay thingy and danced around a pole on one leg singing On Top Of Old Smokey...

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Ummm, I don't quite know what to say about the last post. NSW will not let you teach in the state sector unless you have a recognised tertiary qualification in Education. They also require you to have completed a set number of practicum days.

The indepedent sector I can't speak for but I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that the groundsman scenario could ever happen. Child protection regulations, duty of care and even OH&S regulations would preclude it even if the lack of quals didn't.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/teachnsw/ukteach//iatinsw.htm

This link will take you to the section for overseas trained teachers and the various hoops you have to jump through. There is also a section on gaining classification as a teacher. Might be worth having a look at and doing some investigation.

7. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/recruit/index.htm

The last link didn't come out as a clickable link, lets see if this one works.

8. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Nope, ah well you can always cut and paste I suppose.

Good luck with it all.

9. I understand the point you are making about the profession being recognised as just that but I was assessed by a university and to be honest, I believe GTP teachers are better equipped because of the extra classroom experience. Learning all different learning theories and faffing about in lectures was not going to help me when I was teaching a bottom set class on a Friday afternoon! I believe personality and instinct, as well as subject knowledge etc. makes a great teacher. And you don't know that until you are in the classroom. I have been observed and undergone the same sorts of assessement that a PGCE student would, lesson plans, compiling an assessment folder, assignments etc.

When I started the GTP, I assumed wrongly that as it was a year-long program and you were assessed for Qualified Teacher Status that that would be fine. I found out about four months into it and by that stage, we weren't sure when we would return to Oz so I just carried on as I was enjoying it.

The irony is that I know someone who is applying to migrate to Melbourne and as she has done a PGCE she can teach. However, she has not been able to complete her Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) here because she gets stressed all the time and goes off on the sick. She can't cope in the classroom.

It just seems a shame that I can't teach. I was doing well and had a lot of potential, I was told. Very frustrating.

10. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Dolly

Didn't mean to imply that you aren't as good a teacher as someone who has gone the other route at all. I work in the faculty of Education at Sydney Uni and I constantly tell my students it is all about learning the rules of the game and then playing it to your best advantage. Unfortunately a prerequisite of all professions is a piece of paper saying that you have studied for so long at University in that area.

Certainly most of our students would benefit from longer periods of professional experience as you really do learn on the job but the theory is also important.

I really feel for you and I hope you will at least investigate how much credit you would get for your qualification. It would be a terrible shame for all that experience to go to waste.

Good luck with it.

11. I'm in a similar position but in Republic of Ireland.

It's just silliness, IMHO. I wrote to the minister, too. I've heard nothing back either.

FRUSTRATION!!

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

PS: Probably the most important facet of our qualifications for teachers is the rise in salary it has accorded us. People unfortunately, do tend to wquate qualifications with how much you are worth. You and I know that isn't so but it is the way it is.

13. I qualified on the GTP a few years ago and have been teaching KS3, GCSE science & A level physics since in a fairly tough Merseyside comp. I have two engineering degrees, chartered engineering status but no PGCE.

I was on holiday in Sydney during August & the relatives I stayed with are retired teachers.
    I spoke to a number of experienced teachers in both state and some fairly flash private schools around Wahroonga / Warrawee area.

Out of interest I had a look at the HSC papers in physics, maths and IT.

Lots of comments along the lines of "Why don't you try and stay etc etc - we are desperate for physics teachers". When I told them I couldn't even teach in an Australian school there reaction was amazement.

I don't want to move to Australia but I still am pssd off that I couldn't teach there because I chose to train in a practical way.

14. I was under the impression that after about 4/5 years experience GTPers could apply as you have post qualification experience? Maybe i am wrong.

It does seem unfair after all we had to prove we were at the same standards as PGCErs.

Why is it that it is not recognised?

15. I am now joining you in being very annoyed at the fact that i cannot teach in Australia with a GTP.

I did not realise this until i have literally just read your blog and now i am GUTTED! I have just started training in the GTP last week after choosing this route against a PGCE at Loughborough. Before making this decision I also spent months researching about the GTP and emailed the Victorian Education Department to check this wasok for when i wanted to teach over in Oz. I had emails back replying that this should be ok as long as i have 4 years in tertiary experience. As the GTP is linked with the uni i actually have to do assignments as do the PGCE student and i receive credits towards a Masters if i chose do study in the future! I am lost for words...

Does anyone know.....Is there anyway of working as a teaching assistant or as a supply teacher? My subject is PE and i am also a qualified dance teacher over here with a Dance Association would this be of any use? Could i not assist in PE lessons at all? I am upset and just want to see if i can do anything over in Australia so any advice i would be grateful.
    Thanks

16. I'm not sure of the length of your teacher training course/s. Four years teacher training is required in Victoria.
    Perhaps the person who advised you about '4 years' experience' has given you incorrect advice, or else you've misunderstood.
    Requirements (including for those trained outside Victoria) are spelt out on the website of Victorian Institute of Teaching - the body that registers teachers for work (no registration=no job). Take a look at www.vit.vic.edu.au

17. PICT

What do you mean you can't teach again in England ever?

I'm moving to the Uk in about 12 months (I have married a Brit) and would like to continue to teach. I did work about 5 years ago in England and didn't find out about the QTS until very laste in the piece. I thought you were allowed to work about 4 years without it then you had to apply? Or am I wrong.

Please email me at theq8sandpit@hotmail.com

thanks

18. I am studying a PGCE with OU, along with my final term of my GTP to over come this problem .... hey who needs a social life!!! Hopefully it works in my favour!!!

19. It is really frustrating. Maybe it will change? I really appreciate everyone's comments on this thread. Very interesting. I tell people about this situation both in the UK and Oz and they cannot believe it! I am going to do more investigations and some lobbying when I get back so if anyone is interested, drop me an email. I am stubborn and I won't drop it until I have exhausted all avenues!

20. Drop me an email (not sure of your address) because I am behind you 100% so could be good to keep in touch .... incase you need some back up at any point!! ra_dg@hotmail.com