1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recognising previous teaching experience

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by thequillguy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

My apologies if this request has been done to death - I would really appreciate someone who has gone through the experience I am about to describe.

One of the colleagues (for whom I am doing her performance management) wishes to rise up the payscale to recognise her previous teaching experience. She is two years in, and will be moving into her third year. She teaches art in a secondary school.

Previous to this she worked for four years teaching EFL in Japan, and some 17 years in various other capacities.

My impression is that there isn't a culture of teachers rising up the payscale. Is it possible? Any PMs from people who have experience or precedent of this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading this request.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The time to negotiate a alary with recognition of previous experience would have been upon starting, when it might have been possible to start higher than M1 to reflect previous work experience. I would say it was too late now. It would be possible to negotiate accelerated progress up the pay scale but that would now need to be because of exceptional performance IN the post, not experience gained BEFORE it.

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply CarrieV!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Indeed not. Overseas experience is rarely recognised as years experience warranting moving up the scale, and as the 17 years previous working life were not in an educational setting or related discipline neither would that.