1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reclaiming PPI?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Zebrahead, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

2. Thanks but I am contacting them for the claims company or my PPI claim?! The claims company said they were covered by ministry of justice, not financial ombudsman.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The claims company!
    ...if only to ask if that's true because it sounds like bol locks to me.

Phone them...explain what has happened so far and they'll advise. Their leaflet makes them sound very helpful. And they're free.

4. Thanks Seren. I will make sure I do that - if not tomorrow then this week. I have an interview Tues so will probably be a bag of nerves tomorrow!

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Wow, I would hyperventilate at that!

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I would too!!
    6k or less = drooling
    3k or less = salivating
    *I'm setting my sights low and only expect to salivate at best, seeing as I paid about £120 PPI every year I had the card*

7. Well, I still havent got round to making a claim yet, but today I was going through some paper work and found details of my last car loan. Sure enough I was paying PPI. Will I be able to make a claim for it eventhough it was wit the same company i bought the car from-VW?
    Also, at the time I signed the form, I was employed for a LEA butmy contract was ending a few days later. I then went on supply, and 3 months later got a job with another LEA. Could this be a problem?
    Thanks for reading

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Download and fill in the forms on Martin Lewis's website.
    It depends on the terms of the PPI - but it's unlikely that you'd have qualified to claim on the protection so it's worth a shot.
    Did you ask for the protection (I didn't)? Were the terms of the protection explained to you (they never were to me)? Did you agree to it (I did, and said so on the forms, but explained that I'd agreed on the basis that it was strongly suggested that I'd "be wise" to do so in case I ever lost my job or was ill)? Two of my claims have been upheld and repayment has been made (very nice sums too).
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Today I became debt-free for the first time in well over a decade.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Depending on how many years you paid it for you could still end up with a 4 figure sum.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That is a very nice thought but I musn't get my hopes up . . . . . . simply because I am trying to save £4.5k before October ([​IMG] )as we desperately need a new roof. I need to view this PPI thing as an aside, a financial irrelevance . . . . otherwise I may well fall into the trap of counting on financial help when it isn't 'real' yet.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The smallest of my outstanding claims is for a total of just under £400 and he who sorted out my PPI claims reckons that if the complaint is upheld it should repay about £1k with interest and punitive interest included. He was pretty close to the final figures for the two which have already settled.

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

My warmest congratulations. This is great news! Well done. Long may it continue!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I cannot tell you what a thrill it was to make that last phonecall. If my other claims are upheld I shall have savings into the bargain. Early retirement beckons next year!

14. I didn't even get PPI , but I got an automated call from some shysters todauy who want to fight my case. I rang the freephone number and was taken off at least one calling list

15. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

did you use a claims advisor?
    well done though on clearing your debts.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

No. I did get a lot of help from a friend and I'm grateful for it as it meant I didn't lose 30% (what a colleague is losing to an advisor) or the interest on my claim. Either of those would have meant a very substantial payout to an advisor for doing something it's feasible to do oneself.
    Download the forms from Martin Lewis's money expert website and follow his very clear instructions.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

15 months on and no joy as yet with my PPI claim, complaint to Ombudsman and they(the bank) are not even responding to letters from my MSP.
    Anyone else having better luck/more progress?

18. My bank wrote to me regarding the fact that they believe I was miss sold PPI by them! I had to fill in a form with my recollections of the loan process (I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night, never mind a telephone conversation a few years old!).

It did surprise me that they contacted me, but let's see what happens.

I'm sorry you're getting no joy - I thought there was a time span within which the Ombudsfolk had to come to a decision and explain next steps?

19. Please be aware, my uncle has just claimed for a PPI refund and (stupidly) did not realise that the loan had not actually been repaid but had been written off. They have now reopened the loan and have billed him the remaining ballance (minus the small PPI refund).