1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reciprocal reading - a gimmick or does it really work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by violingirl, Jul 19, 2015.

1. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Looking at improving reading next year. Looking at reciprocal reading and Big Reading. Any feedback from either? Opinions appreciated. TIA

2. WB

WB Star commenter

I've done reciprocal reading every day fro 2 and a half years. It's rubbish. The kids get nothing from it. It just creates noise in an otherwise calm and quiet session.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Gimmick.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I wouldn't bother with the whole reciprocal reading programme.

However, at the end of each guided reading session, when a teacher or teaching assistant has been the guide, we turn the tables and get the children to go back through the text and ask each other questions. You will need to model how to do this: steering them away from asking simple deduction questions (eg What colour was the chair?) but after a couple of sessions children get quite skilled at asking probing questions.

I cannot say with certainty that this has improved reading test results for my class, but it certainly improves children's speaking and listening skills.