1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipient and home address in cover letter?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Sileas, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Sileas

Sileas New commenter

Some more advice needed! In the past, I have always written cover letters the traditional way, with my address in the top right and the recipient's address below it on the left. It does seem redundant now, since cover letters are emailed and it also takes up so much space (which is annoying when you are trying to keep everything to one page). What do you guys do? Do you include both addresses, one, or none? I'd really like to get rid of at least one but I'm not sure how it would be received.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

No, i just put the important info. Country of birth, email address, skype address etc, and dont forget about dependants...if you have any

percy topliss likes this.
  3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

On a separate sheet which gives all the key/essential contact information, @Sileas, and is included with all the other attachments sent via email.

4. Sileas

Sileas New commenter

So would you focus more on personal information in a cover letter, rather than expanding on points in your CV?

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The big things in my opinion are your contact information and how many dependants you will be prospectively turning up with.... dependants = cost, to some schools this makes a difference.

They really wont care about their own address being on the letter. They want to know about you. Not especially about your qualifications and experience as that should be a given...otherwise you wouldnt be applying for the position. But more about you, what makes you stand out from the crowd. What could you give to the school community past your teaching. Its a given that you are a teacher, but in international schools you need to show what you could add to their school, coaching, team player, MUN, GIN, anything that would add to their after school programme etc. Remember that you will be applying against 100's of applicants from all over the world.... why should they consider you? What makes you special? Just because you have been teaching for X amount of years wont cut it. There are thousands of teachers with exactly the same CV as you from all over the world.

Sileas likes this.