1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes you have cooked for years...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 6, 2012.

1. and then you cook them one day, almost in your sleep, and they turn out to be much better than ever before?
    I have just cooked a whole batch of chili. I must have cooked chili a thousand times, but this one (if I say so myself) is wonderful!
    I did nothing differently to when I have previously cooked chili!
    What do you think makes the difference? Luck?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It can be a case of the right ingredients at the right time, especially where seasonal fruit or veg are used. Ratatouille never tastes quite as good as it does in late summer, for example.
    In the case of the chilli - have you bought fresh spices recently, maybe?

3. No new spices, I am still living from my storecupboard (so I was using dried chilis which I soaked) [​IMG] Also added some cumin but I always do that anyway.
    I am generally very slapdash with my quantities, so I think I just had a lucky hand with the amount of spices today!

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

CQ, I thought chilli sauce came from a jar with Uncle Ben's written on it.
    I love chilli and might be tempted to follow a real recipe if it didn't involve too many pots and pans.

5. dozymare1957

Actually, there is one thing that I can make and that's stuffing. I only do it once a year for Christmas but it's seriously yummy.

6. My chili is made in one pot.
    Would you like a recipe?

7. dozymare1957

If you're sure it's ultra simple, yes please

8. It is.
    Take a big pan. Slug in some oil. Heat.
    Chop a fresh chili (you can add more later), 2 cloves chopped or crushed garlic and 2 diced onions.
    Fry in the oil until soft.
    Add 500g of mince. Chop around a bit with a spatula so that it is crumbs and not big clumps.
    Brown off the mince for a good while until it is brown and the moisture has boiled off (keep turning now and then so that it does not stick and burn).
    Add a very large tablespoon of tomato puree and stir in.
    Add 2 tins of tomatoes (chopped).
    Add 2 tins kidney beans.
    Add a crumbled stock cube (we will do real stock in version 2).
    Allow to bubble up then turn the heat down, put a lid on and simmer on low heat for a good half half hour, better 45 minutes. Stir now and then.
    Now, you can add a tin of sweetcorn, if you like. Or a chopped pepper.
    Add some cumin (about a teaspoon), a pinch of salt and about 5 turns of pepper from your pepper mill.
    Add a pinch of sugar and a squirt of lemon juice (neither are obligatory, so if you don't have them to hand or forget to add, don't worry).
    Bubble up again. Simmer for another good 15 minutes, stir now and again.
    Taste. You might like to add more chili.
    That is it.
    One pan. One chopping board.

9. And feel free to add some water, if the mixture gets too thick during cooking.
    You can also add a glass of red wine, but you don't need to.

10. dozymare1957

Thank you, I'll give it a go. I don't have any of those ingredients so I'll have to buy them. I think I might miss out the cumin as I'm not sure if I like it. Is that the one that you sometimes get in rice from the Indian takeaway? Greeny things that you have to spit out if you accidentally put one in your mouth? Would this feed four men plus me?

11. You can get ground cumin, but don't buy it specially. It is ok without. You can use dried chili, but if you don't use spices normally, I would just buy a fresh couple and start with one, then see if you need the second one. Be careful chopping them - scrape out the seeds into the bin and do NOT touch your eyes.
    This will easily feed all of you. It is a good 8 portions. If you are cooking for men, I would use 2 chilis (buy the pointy red ones).

12. dozymare1957

Red pointy, will do. Thanks. They do like it spicy.
    I'm off to bed now.
    I'm really enjoying the cookery forum although I'm seriously baffled by some of the words there.
    No doubt we'll meet up somewhere tomorrow.
    Night night