1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes you don't have....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I was chatting to Mum.
    She started reminiscing (as old biddies do!) about the past. She was talking about her time in Czechoslovakia. (I don't dwell too much on exactly why she was there....her group of Hitler Youth girls were apparently helping some German families who had moved/settled there)
    Anyway, Mum was talking about some Czech nuns she knew who cooked the most amazing meal of cabbage and meatballs. Mum was fairly drooling as she talked about the meal.Mum was not much of a cook back then, and never asked for the recipe - and maybe they wouldn't have given it to her....so all she has is her memories of this dish.
    This got me thinking....
    I would love the recipe for Omi's baked rice pudding. It was thick you sliced it,...a completely different pudding to the more 'wet' English rice pud....there is a recipe in Omi's cook book, which is nice enough but not quite the same!
    In Singapore we sometimes went to the Ammas' market at night and I had the most divine tiny little coconut cakes that were served warm...I'm a good Christian girl but I would quite possibly consider killing for that recipe! Those little mouthfuls were just soooooo good!
    And in Germany, I once had hare with red cabbage in a little restaurant. The cabbage was good - but the hare was out of this world! I don't know what the seasoning was or how they had cooked it but I would just love that recipe!
    Oh and from school dinners....the cook made her own spam fritters. The secret was the batter! I know you can buy prepared spam fritters but they are just not the same! I'd love to find that dinner lady and steal her recipe...or maybe just ask nicely for it!

So....what recipes do you not have but really wish you did?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I had some slow-cooked ribs with chips in a little street cafe in Malta a few years ago. The sauce was to die for. A little bit sweet with lots of thyme but nothing like as sweet and cloying as traditional barbeque sauce. They were the best ribs I have ever had and I would love the recipe.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Sorry can't help with the Maltese recipe, now if you wanted the recipe for Pastizzi, I could!!
    You could try experimenting.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

My Nana's bottle masala. Goan matriarchs guard their family bottle masala recipes with their lives and sadly, my Nana did such a good job that the recipe died with her! My mother and I have been trying to recreate the blend of spices since she died in 1998, but with no success.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I wish I could have had my Grandmother's recipe for Keshk (its like an Egyptian savoury yoghurt pudding). I have tried to recreate it many times but to no avail!

6. I'll ask my mum (she's maltese) when I speak to her tomorrow, she might have the recipe. She's also got a maltese recipe book so can check in that. She's off to Malta with my dad in June, I could always ask her if she could enquire when they're there! Will do my best to help [​IMG]

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thank you SuzeJ. It would be great to know how to copy them here.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Chances are it's a Maltese chef's own recipe. Whereabouts in Malta is your Mum from? I used to live in Gzira and went to school in Cospicua (RN Verdala).

9. I used to go to school in Mdina - St Dorothy's Convent...
    I wish I had learned to make scones before my mother died. They were the best scones I have ever had and no recipe has come close. Unfortunately, she never wrote her recipe down so they will only ever be a memory.

10. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I wish I had my Great-Aunt Edie's trifle 'recipe' - it was legendary in the family and nearly thirty years after she died, we still discuss how to make it.
    You'd think a trifle would be easy to make, but ...
    So far, we've collectively remembered that she used to make a Madeira cake and let it go a bit stale before slicing and sandwiching together with seedless raspberry jam. A tin of fruit was included, usually mandarin oranges, a liberal dousing of sherry (mum also remembers it being made with Stones' Ginger Wine, which she hated at all other times!), cold Bird's custard and whipped cream.
    Easy when you write it down, but Edie had a special magic, and no other trifles taste the same, so we've definitely missed the magic ingredient!
    Happy memories [​IMG]

11. My mum's soup! When it was freezing out we would arrive home to the smell of homemade soup. It was so warming and delicious. Actually I don't think there was a recipe as it wasn't the same very time. My soup just doesn't hit the same spot somehow, maybe she had a magic ingredient, love perhaps? I miss her!

12. The rabbit we accidentally ordered in Spain. We looked at what other peole were eating and pointed.
    It was mouthsized pieces, no sauce, obviously fried off served with french fries (for once not soaked in olive oil). But we have tried 5 different recipes that sound feasible.... and no. We can't and we are sooooooooooo disapointed, we'll never find that bar / restaurant again (Dad was a little bit lost) but we know what it was called, you guessed, The Rabbit (but in Spanish).

13. I have one like that - it is a family fave. Would you like me to post it? You bake it for a while, then thicken with egg, then bake again.

I wish I had Oma Leni's salad dressing recipe (I know how she did it - it is with Büchsenmilch, but it never quite turns out like hers did. Then I found another "Omi" who taught me hers (she has since had a stroke so I can't ask again) but I never got that quite like hers either).

And I wish I had MüttchenHannelore's recipe for Schmandkartoffeln, as I can't get it like she did them, either.

14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

norwegian sponge!
    My favourite pudding at school. Plain sponge filled with jam and cream and topped with melted chocolate. Delicious-but have never managed to recreate it to perfection.

15. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My mum's lemon and parsley stuffing she used to make at Christmas. I have tried to make it but it just doesnt taste the same.

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Yes please! I have a recipe from Omi's handwriiten book - which is thickened with egg as you say...but firstly, Omi's recipes are never exact! Some of them read more like anecdotes than recipes - you get an idea of most of the ingredients, no quantities or oven heats/timings, but a note to tell you it was tasty, or that Opa preferred a different version....and that's the charm of the recipe book!....also some of the recipes seem to miss ingredients! You gather everything together and see a note 'too much nutmeg'.....nutmeg? there was no nutmeg in the recipe!.
    The recipe I have is tasty enough..everyone yums it up when it's made...but it is just not the same as when Omi made it! Maybe your recipe will give me some new idea to try!