1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes that can be cooked using microwave or bbq

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by primarycat, Apr 7, 2012.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Hi, I'm new to posting although do a lot of reading here! I have just moved house, but will have no cooker until at least the end of the month. Any ideas for food that can be microwaved or cooked on a bbq or nice whole meal salad type recipes? I am beginning to exhaust my repertoire already (couscous with chorizo microwaved in tomatoey pasta sauce, coronation chicken using ready roasted chicken, Nigella's mexican chicken salad, salads with peppered mackerel, roast pork on the bbq). All ideas gratefully received!

2. primarycat

Hi, I'm new to posting although do a lot of reading here! I have just moved house, but will have no cooker until at least the end of the month. Any ideas for food that can be microwaved or cooked on a bbq or nice whole meal salad type recipes? I am beginning to exhaust my repertoire already (couscous with chorizo microwaved in tomatoey pasta sauce, coronation chicken using ready roasted chicken, Nigella's mexican chicken salad, salads with peppered mackerel, roast pork on the bbq). All ideas gratefully received!

3. I have a microwave cookbook! Would be happy to post a few recipies here if that would be helpful.

4. primarycat

That would be fantastic - I have only ever used a microwave to reheat stuff, so not too sure how to cook from scratch with one. Thanks!

5. No worries! BRB...

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Cover 200g Bulgar Wheat with 500ml boiling water....cover and leave for 20 minutes or so until the water is absorbed...drain a 450g tin of Chickpeas and add to the Bulgar Wheat....Chop 100g Dried Apricots; 2 CelerySticks; 4 Spring Onions and add to your Bulgar Wheat mix...In a jar with a lid, put equal parts of Oil and Vinegar, add a blob of Mustard,a drizzle of Honey and a couple of pieces of chopped Stem Ginger -put lid on and shake well....pour the Dressing over the Bulgar Wheat mix....this should give 4 decent portions and keeps well in the fridge....It makes a nice packed lunch on it's own or add some cooked chicken for a more substantial meal.
    If you look at Lakeland Ltd...they have a website...they are rather good (so I have been told....never shop there myself....[​IMG])...and stock Microwave steamer bags...you can pop chicken or fish and veg into the bag, seal it and then Microwave the whole meal.
    And now would be a great time to invest in a slow-cooker!!!!!!

7. All the recipies were tested and timed using a 650W microwave oven, so you'd need to adjust accordingly for your machine. From Sainsbury's Microwave Companion:
    <u>Rich Beef Casserole</u>
    2 tbsp plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
    500g (1lb) braising sreak, trimmed & sliced thinly
    25g (1oz) butter
    1 carrot, sliced thinly
    6-8 shallots, skinned and left whole
    300 ml (1/2 pint) beef stock
    50-75g (2-3oz) button mushrooms, sliced
    Mix together the flour, salt, pepper & herbs and toss the beef in the seasoned flour until well coated.
    Put the butter in a medium sized microwaveable bowl or casserole and melt on HIGH for 40-60 seconds. Stir in the beef, carrot & shallots, cover loosely and cook on HIGH for 7-8 mins, stirring twice.
    Pour in the beef stock, add the mushrooms, cover loosely and cook on LOW/DEFROST for 25-30 mins. Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving, so that the meat relaxes.

8. Will post some more later - husband's just got come in the door with chippy chips!

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

you can boil rice and pasta in a microwave quite successfully and a colleague brings in packets of stuffed pasta (tortellini etc), peels the corner of the lid back, adds 2 tbsp water and microwaves in the packet!
    do you have any extra appliances? steamer? rice cooker? deep fat fryer? (I have one machine that does all this + being a slow cooker). Can you borrow a camping stove off someone?

10. I was in this position a year or so back. I had my kitchen gutted and all redone along with major building works so I was without a cooker for 6 weeks or so.
    My barbecue was a godsend, it has a little ring on the side and I cooked alsorts with that, veggi chilli, spag bol etc. Also my microwave has an oven too so I could do roast meats etc. I have a slow cooker too so that came in very handy. Would cook a whole chicken or a beefy stew. Very difficult though with the lack of working space, this was all done in the garage, we even had a table to eat at in the garage. It was fun looking back, a bit like camping.
    I did cheat and buy a few ready meals and we did have the odd takeaway but we did eat well.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Welcome to the cookery forum, primarycat!

12. primarycat

Thanks for the ideas, they sound great and I will give them a try! Only have a toaster & kettle other than microwave & bbq, will definitely need to get a bit more proficient with microwave once term starts again as can't see me firing up bbq every night after school. I have a South African bean bag contraption you can start a stew etc. on the hob and then transfer the pot to that retains heat and slow cooks it without needing more energy, maybe I could improvise with the microwave though not sure how to brown meat / soften onions etc. first. Did manage homemade burgers on the bbq with aubergine dip from last night's bbq on the side tonight.

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

what sort of food do you like? maybe we can come up with some useful ideas if we know your tastes?

14. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

15. primarycat

I have thought about getting a slow cooker or hob but am a bit reluctant to buy something that I have no long term use for, seems a bit wasteful although I guess the £10 camping stove would pay for itself against one take away! I am lucky that my Mum lives close by so can scrounge a meal / use her kitchen at a pinch. In some ways it is quite a good challenge to see how much variation I can manage.

As to what we like to eat the short answer is pretty much anything. The only things I really don't like are beetroot, blue cheese and horseradish and Mr PC is allergic to mussels, but we enjoy any food that has a bit of flavour and zing about it. Any nationality is good, I enjoy pottering about in the kitchen at weekends or holidays, but after work anything has to be quick to prepare.

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

1) get the biggest bowl that will fit in the microwave
    2) chop an onion and some garlic and put these in the bowl with some oil
    3) micro on high for 2 mins
    4) add (small) chicken pieces (thighs, drums, halved breasts), a chopped red pepper and a can of tomatoes/carton of passata + a sprinkling of mixed herbs
    5) cover in clingfilm and micro on high for 4-5 mins
    6) add a handful of rice + salt and pepper
    7) re-cover and micro on low for 10 mins
    check that the rice is fully cooked before serving with a green salad and jacket spud if you want extra carbs.

17. ljr

ljr New commenter

I was without my kitchen last year as well & managed with the microwave, a slow cooker & a camping stove for 3 months. You can fry onions and then add mince & diced carrots, peas /herbs /spices to make a basic meat sauce, and then boil up potatoes to mash, or pasta (the meat will keep warm if you wrap it in its dish in a tea towel.)You could add curry powderor paste to make a curry - you could change the mince to diced chicken? Serve with one of those 2 minute micro rice. Fish pie is fairly easy too - make a basic white sauce in the microwave & add fish & prawns, cook in the sauce, maybe add some cheese. Keep warm & boil & mash some potatoes - it doesn;'t have to be grilled to brown on top. Hope this helps, good luck.

18. primarycat

Thanks for ideas, they sound great and will be tried out!