1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes for when the chips are down...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, May 20, 2009.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Arrived home at midnight yesterday. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to crash through the barriers on the M62 and block the motorway in both directions. It was always going to be a long day, but I didn't expect it to be quite as long...
    So I didn't eat yesterday and coincidentally, didn't eat the previous day for entirely different reasons I shalln't bore you with. Supprisingly, it's not that difficult Jude Fawley's lifestyle. Mind over matter I guess. On these occasions I resorted to keeping my blood sugar level up with a glass or two of red.
    However, the thread title...
    I don't imagine my lifestyle is that remote from others these days. It's great when you have the time to plan and cook good food, yet not always possible. Some days almost entirely impossible, so what do you have in reserve for such eventualities. Something in the larder or freezer you can click your finger and like magic there's a meal.
    One of my friends could withstand a siege with what she crams into her chest freezers in the garage and the one she has in her kitchen. Unfortunately our food storage isn't anthing as large, and to be frank, I'd rather cook fresh food. So we tend to shop daily but try to keep something in reserve for that last ditch meal when everything goes wrong.
    Today mrs modelmaker enjoyed some cod in butter sauce I turned into a fish pie. I await a chicken curry to cook after I found some chicken in the freezer and was just in time to catch Mr Patel before he closed to buy a jar of curry sauce.
    It isn't as easy as you might imagine, living in the Material World...
    How do you cope?

2. Indeed. spread it on cod loins (or monkfish if you can afford it!) then wrap in parma ham and bake!
    SiN. Tiffick....no offense taken! Seriously. I do often make curries from my own roasted and gound spices but always keep paste in for 'curry in a hurry' moments which happen often for me as, I work until 6.30, sometimes 9pm 5 days a week with an hour's drive home and I work Sat am....I'm exhausted just reading this!!! [​IMG]

3. i have flat breads in the freezer. Put on lentil mix also from freezer. thaw in mw. add salad greens from garden. Roll up and eat.
    I often roast a pan of root veges in the oven if I am tired. It takes a while to cook but is easy care. (potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, cauli, carrots etc) I like the leftovers cold in my lunch as well with a bit of chili sauce.
    i have black bean burgers in freezer which i use for a toasted sandwich with tomato and rocket.

4. Hi pineapple sage
    Is there any chance you could pop the recipie for this on here when you get a mo?
    Your food sounds great (just been looking at your Sunday lunch suggestions).
    Thanks,
    pax

5. <h4>Wow, do you like these? I always think they taste really funny [​IMG]

My super-comforting quick easy recipe is Nigella's rapid ragu. I usually have some mince in the freezer and everything else in my stock cupboard and it is soooooo good!
    </h4>

6. <h4>My other standby dinners are pasta with veggies, pesto and philadelphia, and I keep a stock of meatballs in the fridge - heat in microwave and serve with spaghetti and tinned toms. </h4>

7. I prefer fresh, but we are talking "emergency stocks" [​IMG]
    I think if there is one thing it is really worthwhile having in the freezer, it is mince. There are so many different kinds of meals you can wizz up with a bit of mince, depending on what else you have to hand (even if you just make mince with onion gravy) [​IMG]

8. You've inspired me sagey! Bought two packs of flatbreads (one wholegrain, one with herbs) on Sat (2 for 1 - bargain!), some hoummous and salady things.
    Absolutely delicious! These will make a great change from the usual boring sarnies and oatcakes I've been packing for lunch.
    Haven't quite got the hang of rolling them, though. I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

9. What do you mean with flat bread?

10. Like a tortilla wrap. The kind of thing you'd use to make fajitas, only bigger
    Like these:
    http://www.missiondeli.com/index.html

11. aha!
    Thanks [​IMG]

12. modelmaker

Here's one I did tonight. Could have done far better given time but kids would love it.
    Sweetcorn, onion and cheese fritters.
    I made a thick batter using 2 eggs, 2 heaped tablespoos of flour and a dash of milk. I added a can of sweetcorn and some grated cheese, quite a bit of pepper (though not enough).
    I fried off an onion till it was stating to get soft and added it to the mix.
    Then I scooped it into a Yorkshire pudding tray (individual, preheated and lined with oil)
    Cook in the oven on a high heat for 15 minutes.
    It was Ok, not that bad but to my taste fa bit too sweet. I think it needs a bit more spice, some herbs, nowhere near so much sweetcorn (replace this with something else) and then it could be a simple to cook winner. Think about this... it's simple and cheap, quite filling and uses stuff you either have or might decide to buy. The question is what to add to the batter.
    Had them with frozen chips and baked beans. Not the proudest day in my culinary career but it was better than others,

13. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I do a similar sort of thing...mini frittatas done in a greased fairy cake tray. I spoon in a little chopped veg (peppers/ corn/ mushrooms/ courgette/ frozen peas/ whatever) and a bit of grated cheese and herbs if I have some handy, top up with seasoned beaten egg and bake in the oven til puffed up and cooked through. We eat them for breakfast, emergency dinners or cold in packed luches and they usually make it onto a party buffet table. My wee one loves them as they are finger food- he won't touch a proper omelette for some reason.

14. modelmaker you askerd some time ago for my recipe for lentils. Sorry I haven';t been on here for a while! I use red lentils for speed of cooking but any lentils are good. The mixture thickens on cooling so has to be as little sloppy when hot so it is a spreading consistency when cold. I don't actually use a recipe but very it. The simplest is to add sweet chili sauce to the cooked lentils the nadd the salad veges in the sandwich. I also use curry or smoked paprika as alternate flavours.
    Sometimes I add a can of tomatoes near the end of the cooking, grated carrot, celery, sauteed onion and herbs.
    Hope that helps.

15. modelmaker

Home late again. Fortunately Mr Patel was open but with reduced stock. I bought a pack of "top rump steak" I believed we has salad left, and it transpired we did but not as much as I thought.
    Ok, I fried the steak till it was rare and set aside. I caremelised 2 onions. I sliced 5 tomatoes and cooked till they were almost mush, adding salt, peper and basil. When the tomatoes were done, I aded them to the pan the steak was resting in.
    There was a lot of juice left from the tomatoes plus there was plenty of steak juice so I added this to the tomato pan with a glass of red wine and reduced till it was quite thick.
    Finally. I sliced the steak really thin so it could be eaten without too much chewing.
    I toasted 4 slices of bread. Spread the sauce on, added the steak with a layer of tomato and the onion. Another layer of sauce then the final layer of toast.
    The dogs are still wondering how come they missed out on their share.

16. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

This sounds just like the Be-Ro 'Savoury Bacon Roll':
    Fry bacon and onion for 2/3 mins, add chopped parsley
    Make up 8oz (old book!) suet pastry, roll out into oblong, spread mixture to within 2cm of edges
    Damp edges, roll up tightly
    Bake at 200&deg;/Gas 6 for about 45 mins
    Used to make it years ago and it was delicious!

17. Good standby - pasta, pesto and pine nuts.
    fresh pasta is so much nicer and cooks far more quickly. It keeps for about a month if it's sealed and left inthe fridge.
    Pine nuts - heat up f.pan until hot. Chuck pine nuts in - no oil and heat for a min until they smell sweet, shake 'em and wait until they are golden all over.
    Cook pasta and drain, return to pan, stir in sacla pesto, pine nuts and grate in some parmesan. Takes 10 mins. Yum.
    Stir in cream too, if you have it.

18. modelmaker

Pay day tomorrow thank Heavens! Moving home has been a taxing experience on the pocket. Not much left in the freezer tonight but I came across some good beefburgers and there were tins of baked beans in the cupboard and some oveon chips in the freezer too.
    Also I came across a couple of pitta bread. Burgers chips and beans doesn't sound that inspiring does it?
    Ok, I sweated down 3 onions till they were very soft and starting to brown. I put the chips in the oven and 15 mins later got a frying pan to a blasting heat before adding the burgers. 1 minute each side to get them nicely browned then into the oven with the chips and on with the beans at a slow heat. I added a **** of butter to the beans. When the chips were almost ready so were the burgers, nicely flavoured and rare. Coated the burgers with the onions, served up mrs modelmaker's beand then added a good slosh of chilli sauce to mine.
    The pitta bread went into the hot oven for a few minutes till it was toasted then I sliced it into strips put it in a hot dish with a **** of butter and tossed it around.
    I can't pretend this was finest cooking moment and wouldn't bore you with this meal suggestion other than to say you can face what looks death in the eye and enjoy the challenge of making what might be the worst meal of your life paletable with some love and consideration for the ingredients.
    Burgers though full of fat can be quite tasty if you cook them well. Oven chips can be dire if you overcook them. Baked beans need a kick up the **** to be enjoyable and frozen pitta bread is tasteless unless you toast it and coat in butter upon which it becomes a delight.
    Pay day tomorrow I'm looking forward to very much albeit it will involve a trip to the supermarket to re-stock.

19. modelmaker

This evening in Tescos, mrs modelmaker's eye spied liver. I quite like liver when it's properly cooked although I've often had it served innedible. I think the worse was in a caserole my sister in law cooked and swore was the only way to eat liver. Fortunately they moved to Ireland so it's unlikely I'll ever again face that dreadful dish.
    As we all know, liver has to be cooked quickly or it becomes tough. I coated mrs modelmaker's in flour and fried it as usual with onions.
    For me though, the best way to enjoy liver is in a sandwich. There is nothing quite like it. This evening, having sorted mrs modelmaker's dinner, I tried experimenting by coating my liver with flour and tandoori spice. It has something. Sadly, I didn't add enough spice to produce the definitive recipe but I think from what I tasted it has enormous potential as an excellent sandwich. Slice it thinly, add some yoghurt and spring onions maybe, and for goodness sake use decent bread rather than the white sliced pap my darling wife adores so much.
    Anyway, the liver cost 71p so I think it qualifies for this thread. There was plenty enough for mrs modelmaker, myself and the dog and enough leftover to make sandwiches for tomorrow too.

20. Must admit - whenever I make a home-made bolognese or shepherds/cottage pie, always make extra and freeze in portions (pies work well in those terrecotta bowls you get with the Waitrose tapas).
    If in doubt - just use a tub of creme fraiche, garlic (lazy from the jar - no apologies), black pepper, parmasan - ham or bacon if you have it. Then mix with cooked spaghetti..... Very quick and easy carbonara. Add softened leeks and onions too if you have them, mushrooms etc.
    Great way of feeling satisfied of cooking rather than a ready meal but very quick and cheap and can use up bits and bobs. Especially good for us as we don't have a microwave for the ready meals anyway and they cost a fortune!