1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

recipes for fat ladies

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I have started a thread over on health and well being for people who have to lose 3 stones+
    It occurred to me that this would be the perfect place to get help, suggestions, advice etc on how to cook well and healthily and still manage to lose weight. I cook well but probably not an expert on how to cook for weight loss......
    Can you help?

[​IMG]

Yours in hope!!

2. I have started a thread over on health and well being for people who have to lose 3 stones+
    It occurred to me that this would be the perfect place to get help, suggestions, advice etc on how to cook well and healthily and still manage to lose weight. I cook well but probably not an expert on how to cook for weight loss......
    Can you help?

[​IMG]

Yours in hope!!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I personally think that all foods should be enjoyed for what they are and I don't like the idea of making lower fat alternatives to full fat foods...for example, if I want toast, I want it with butter, and will have it with butter rather than with low-fat spread and so if I want to reduce my butter consumption, I'll just have toast less often.
    If I want a cake, I'll eat a cake, but I'll allow for it by eating mainly fruit and fresh veg for the rest of the day.
    If I want a takeaway and a few beers, I'll eat very healthily all day and go for a run/swim/down the gym and make sure I eat healthily for a few days afterwards.
    If I want some chips, I'll have a small portion.
    Effective calorie management is the only true way to lose weight and that can mean calorie counting. When I got engaged 2.5 years ago, my fiancee and I decided we needed to lose weight for the wedding and so counted calories. I shifted 3 stone in about 6 months and she lost a stone in a little less than that. We did that by counting calories. We've gained a far better understanding of what it all means and have kept the weight off, and still get to enjoy regular treats. Moderation is the key, like so much in life.
    This site is excellent:
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/default-signup.htm
    It works out your calorie requirement to lose a given amout of weight, based on your size, build, gender and level of activeness. It then calculates the calories on everything you eat (the database is enormous) and offsets this against what your body burns on a daily basis anyway, plus also calculates any extra you might burn off doing exercise, thus allowing you to eat more if you want. It's what helped us lose the weight. You have to pay a small monthly subscription fee You can sign up for a 24 hour trial
    It's not necessarily what you eat, but how you eat, I think. And, as a general tip, bulk out your meals with as much fresh veg as possible and snack on fruit.
    Good luck!

4. I have posted many healthy recipes - particularly low GI ones.
    I am not a great fan of low fat products - as they are replaced with sugar.
    Sugar is often more of a downfall than fat (particularly hidden sugars).
    I am also not a fan of counting calories - I think this does not make you learn how to adapt your diet to a longterm healthy one and you will always need the crutch of counting calories and automatically feel you are denying yourself something or that you have "been bad" for going over x calories one day.
    I cannot possibly post all of my recipes again here - you might like to tell your "friends" to hit the Cookery forum and do a search, as many of us have posted healthy recipes.
    Or they could join us and ask specific questions!

5. sorry, nick, that sounded like I was saying you and your fiancee need a crutch - I didn't mean to imply that. I was speaking generally.

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

When I first met mrs modelmaker she was as slim as a bagfull of slim things, and had always been so. Before she met me however, money had been tight, but for quite a while she enjoyed a high standard of living that caused us both to put on the pounds. In fact, I recall a weekend in Cambridge where I had taken an old suit I hadn't worn for a while and found I couldn't get the trousers on. I bought another suit that I wore a couple of times and now hangs in my wardrobe as a reminder how fast I'd gained weight.
    In mrs modelmaker's case, I'd noticed she had been putting on weight, had gone from the size 8 she had been, to buying size 14s. I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable about this as a) I was more interested in her as a person than a catwalk model and b) I thought she would probably be going through the menopause around this time and nature would be doing it's stuff. Things came to a head when our daughter married and seeing herself in the photographs compared to how she had been made her determined to lose weight with a vengeance.
    She enrolled with Weightwatchers, bought their products, exercised like there was no tomorrow and lost weight. Other members were jealous at the rate she lost it as they were doing the same things she was, the only difference, I suspect, was she eating copious amouts of fruit and veg, though mostly fruit and I suspect lots of fruit makes a big difference.
    She's now a size 10 which she feels more comfortable with than the size 8 she was. It's a shame it's cost me a fortune in expensive clothing that has been discarded because it was either too small or too large but there you go.
    For me, I'm back down to my old size and eat heartily on whatever I fancy, but I took up smoking instead of dieting instead.

7. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

The current message here is to ensure that over half of what you eat is fruit and veg.
    I imagine that would mean your plate should have a portion of protein: meat, fish, eggs, cheese and the rest should be vegetables or fruit or a combination. That sounds like a good starting point to me. Also, think of the way you cook the meat or fish: frying should be avoided, you can bake, grill or poach.
    I also heard that you should be careful about what you accompany the meal with. Pasta and a tomato sauce, fine but don't smother it in cheese or accompany it with fried chicken.
    More and more, people are arguing that a little in moderation is more effective than privation.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have more than 3 stone to lose!
    The best thing I ever did was to give-up dieting!
    I am losing weight slowly (damn it...I can just look at a choccie eclair and put on half a stone, and it takes a month to lose it again!...life aint fair!)...but surely.
    Also, my general health is good - last health check my Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Blood Sugars were all well within the 'normal' range, all the more surprisong as I am clinically obese (end of this year I will be merely 'overweight'...I'm determined!) - the nurse asked me what my secret was!
    My not-a-dit-but-a-healthy-eating-plan-for-life had to be something that did what ot promised...I would lose my excess weight, but be on a plan I can live with for ever. That means healthy eating that allows me to enjoy my food - and enjoy cooking to.
    I found the answer in the F2 plan - it is a close relative of the GI plan - most of CQs recipes and mine seem to fit each others plan - with a little tweaking sometimes.
    Basically I eat loads of food - 5 fruit and veg go down, as a minimum, with no problem (it helps that I actually love veg!) . I eat loads of fibre - mostly from veg(including starchy ones) and unrefined carbd (brown rice, brown pasta, whole grains, granary bread et.c). Meat/Fish are eaten in reasonable portions(ethically sourced!!!!); but I actually choose to go veggie for many meals. Processed meats are one of the few things restricted. (the plan says no more than 2 portions a week).
    Quorn is terrific, but some of the 'prepared' quorn dishes can be hoigh in fat/calories because of the coatings/sauces/additives. Quorn is pretty tasteless but takes on other flavours well - buy plain quorn and stirfry with chillie saucew and veg...or curry it,,,,or use it in spagbol....And the quorn sausages you can buy are really good. (But I can't abide any of the Linda McCartney range!)
    Pulses are terrific- I do a fantastic shepherdess pie...just like a shepherds pie but with lentils not mince.
    One of my biggest tips - and how have a held off mentioning this for so long?....come on, alltogether now....BUY A SLOWCOOKER!...all your lefty over veggies go in with some lentils/barley/or soup-mix and add some fat-free stock (Marigold is my fave)...a few hours later blitz it with a hand blender and you have healthy, low-cal low-fat tasty soup for the freezer!
    And be creative!... I discovered that I don't necessarily want chips...I want the vinegar taste (yeah I'm strange!) So I eat fish with vinegary baked beans! (And somedays it <u>has</u> to be chips - so I allow for that treat!)...Frozen bananas are a terrific substitute for icecream!...Drinking tea from a cup and saucer, tea poured from a pretty floral teapot, means I don't feel the need for a biscuit!
    Puddings and sweet treats are not forbidden! The main thing is to learn to love food and respect it! Cooking from scratch is great if you have thee time- you know what you are eating then - otherwise get into the routine of reading labels carefully.
    I think that almost every recipe has a 'healthier' alternative. Maybe if some othose who want to lose weight could tell us some of their favourite recipes we'd have some ideas on how to adapt them?

9. I think that almost every recipe has a 'healthier' alternative. Maybe if some othose who want to lose weight could tell us some of their favourite recipes we'd have some ideas on how to adapt them?
    That's what I am looking for. I've been using half fat cheesefor cooking but wouldn't eat it as such. I thought about switching to quorn for spag bog for example - not only for weight loss reasons but also to keep Mr C's meat consumption down as he has a heart condition (no need to tell him about the switch!) and he insists on meat for each meal whereas I wiuld be quite happy eating it once a week.
    I do eat lots of veg and fruit but my downfall is sweet things(what's the saying - one biscuit is too many and a packet is not enough) and I just have to reconcile to the fact that I can only have cake, whatever, very occasionally.I have not been particularly good about cutting bak on butter too. I am not dieting in that I am most emphatically not counting calories or weighing my food but I do need to lose a lot of weight and would appreciate help to adapt recipes to include lower fat alternatives.

10. Softening onions in stock instead of frying them off is a very good idea. I shall try that.
    You're right about portion sizes nick, that's where I have gone wrong before - eating far too much. I have switched to a smaller plate and that does make a difference. And no second helpings!
    Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement.

11. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

Hiya, my best tip for cooking low fat is making soups - it's my new fad at the moment (see separate thread) and is brilliant for making something filling and satisfying. Leave recipes that use loads of cream of course, but just make loads of it, spice it up with chilli ( I always feel I've eaten something really satisfying if it's spicy) and eat for the next day as well. I don't mean instead of your main meal, just use it to fill up before you eat so you don't eat so much. It's perfect as well if you don't actually like veg very much as you aren't aware of what is in the soup, just slurp it down! I aim for eating healthily, not low fat or low sugar particularly - just look at what is good for you, think of your health and keep some treats as well for occasional use. Good luck! I'm enjoying reading this thread.

12. Inspiration please...
    I have leftover poached chicken and the remains of a piece of gammon. I would normally turn it into a pie but pastry is out of bounds at the moment. mr C refuses to countenance risottos (he is such a pain - I live for the moments when he has go away for work). We have had them hot and cold with salads but could do with some ideas please.

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Pies do not have to be out of the question!
    You could make a light sauce, cut up the chicken and add loads of veg and top with a thin layer of fpastry. (Top-only pies cut the amount of pastry but still gove the pastry-kick for pie-lovers)
    Or use filo pastry - just be careful not to slather with butter!
    Or how about topping the pie with potaot/swede/carrot mash?

If you really don't want a pie....
    A tomato based sauce with gammon cut in makes a nice pasta sauce (try wholewheat pasta - more fibre, more filling and I think tastes 'nuttier') - pasta and tomtato based sauces are a dieter's dream!
    For the chicken - a quick stirfry comes to mind - stirfry loads of veggies - and add beansprouts too - nice and crunchy and low-cal! - add some chilli-sauce and then at the end, stir in the sliced chicken (it's already cooked so only needs warming through)
    How about serving the chicken with a grainy salad? It would work well with couscous, chickpea, dried apricot, preserved ginger and celery salad.
    Bacon and Lentils is a classic combination...Take 250g Puy Lentils and cook them in3/4 litre veg stock.(Try Marigold stock powder). Add a chopped carrot, an onion, a couple of chopped celery sticks (either dry frie these veggies or use a drop of oil, or a spray of oil if you like|) and 75g dried cranberries. Mix together and dress with a reduced fat vinegraitte - serve with your cold gammon.

14. Oh perfect bethannie
    love the sound of the grainy salad. mr C won't eat pulses so the lentils will have to wait until he goes away again (I told you he was a pain) . I will probably use the gammon and saved stock to make minestrone.
    Thank you

15. You can make a pasta sauce with lentils (either brown or red - red will go mushy on their own) and add some roasted veg and then puree.
    Bet he eats it, especially if you sprinkle some fried lardons in.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

17. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

You can make a cobbler to give him the pie crust experience. Don't cover all the dish with pastry and have a caserole yourself.

18. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Fat Girl Slim is an interesting read, but I've never cooked anything from it. It is fairly elitist (not that that is necessarily a bad thing when it comes to food, and her recipes certainly aren't much cop for feeding a family on a budget. It is, as I say, an interesting read. The bit where she admits to binging and purging is particularly surprising, insomuch as she seems like such a sane individual.

19. Whereas we use FSG quite a lot. But there are only the 2 of us and we do tend toward the posh end of food because of that. This was the first cookery book Climber really took to and it became his bible for a while and is now a much thumbed reference book.
    Her ideas on make one mealfit for one on a diet and one not are interesting and, when combined with GI/GL make perfect sense. Some recipes are easy to do mid week and others are great for special occasions. All of them are great for inspiration when trying to modify other recipes.
    I can recommend her mother (in laws??) lamb chops - just how we prefer them!!

20. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

When my OH and I first got together, he was overweight. He wanted to lose the weight because he felt it was affect his job. As a result I've got a fair few cookery books with recipes and found cheats/shortcuts to make certain foods healthier. If you want any of these recipes, Cosmos, I'd be more than happy to post them - all you need to do is ask!