1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes for dozymare

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 8, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Youngest and I have just done stage one of the slow cooked sausage recipe from Nick909. It now has to simmer for one hour.
    We are now sitting down demolishing what was left of the rhubarb crumble from last night.
    I'm not sure that I really qualify as a cook but I wouldn't say that I hate it any more.

2. dozymare1957

Nick, I went to Tesco and asked to try some parmesan. I actually had to steal myself to put it in my mouth but it was very nice. It's quite strong but I liked it.
    It is now grated up ready to go into sausage thingy which is simmering away and smelling delicious. We weren't sure what a pinch of chilli was so we used a level teaspoonful. Is that too much? Too late if it is. [​IMG]

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

WOW, amazing, I did send the cooking vibes, lol, but cooking is fun and so much nicer eating food that you know exactly what's in it.
    I'll be angling for a dinner invite soon!! [​IMG]

4. With spices and herbs, you can add as little or as much as you like. You are cooking so that it tastes good to you [​IMG].
    Hope you enjoy it - you have had a very productive cookery weekend!
    Keep it up [​IMG]

5. dozymare1957

Nick, you missed out a vital instruction - do not leave pan simmering for an hour without checking on it!
    I've just stirred my sausagey dinner and lots of black things appeared in it! It's fine though because sausages should be burnt on the outside, shouldn't they? Actually it tastes good and the extra chilli helps to hide the charred flavour. Husband is currently in pub so his taste buds and sense of anything will be diminished so no need to worry there.

6. dozymare1957

And Nick you also didn't warn me not to lick my fingers after taking the bayleaf out and throwing it in the bin - UGH!

7. Hi, dozy! This is the bacon and mustard mash recipe i mentioned on the non-cook thread... well it's so simple I hesitate to call it a recipe!

While your potatoes are boiling, cut the rind of the bacon (one slice per person) and chop into small pieces, and fry in butter, until it is cooked

Mash your potatoes with butter and cream, then stir in the fried bacon and a teaspoonful of whole seeded mustard

That's basically it, I'm afraid but just livens up your basic mash recipe!

Other things you can do to liven up basic mashed potato is to use half carrot/half potato or sweet potato (just boil the carrots with the potatoes)

Or very finely chop up some raw onion, and add to mash.. gives it a nice crunchy sensation

Or add grated cheese, or fresh chopped parsley, or any combination of above!

My favourite way to cook broccoli, is to chop it into pieces, including the stalk, and fry in some butter, until it is brown... it looks burnt, but that is honestly how I prefer it. Add some fresh or dried tarragon, close to the end of cooking time, or fry some garlic with it too, and add black pepper

I haven't read the whole thread yet.. .has anyone given you a recipe for tarragon chicken? Really simple!

I'll just add that I'm not a really accomplished cook, like some of the other wonderful people on here!

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I assumed you'd check it, dozymare!
    Also, for future reference, a very gently simmer is better here. Slow blips, rather than lots of bubbles. Should stop it burning as well.

9. dozymare1957

Thank you Annie. The mash variations are a great idea. I have to admit that my children whose ages range from 15 to 24 have never eaten real mash at home. I used to use Mr Mash until Tesco introduced their chilled micro mash. With my new potato ricer I'm going to become the mash queen of Eastbourne! (but not until next week probably! LOL)

10. dozymare1957

Never make assumptions Nick LOL
    Dozy by name, dozy by nature
    Honestly, even with the charing it was very tasty and there was none left over. Finding something that all of my men will eat is a miracle. We're going go try the other two recipes soon. I can't believe that one can produce something so good that feeds four hungry men and a fat woman with only 12 sausages. Normally I'd have to buy three packs of Tesco finest sausages and 23 Richmond Irish ones to feed us.

11. dozymare1957

I'm going to do PrimaryCat's roasted veg this evening and have some pork steaks to go with them. I've no idea what to do with these!
    I don't want to cook them in the same dish as the taste of the pork would ruin the veggie taste which I'm so looking forward to. I'd happily eat just the veggies but my menfolk would feel deprived!
    I've got half a bottle of red wine left from yesterday if that's any help. I don't want to end up throwing it away but it's unlikely to be drunk - yes I know we are a strange family but alcohol is not drunk indoors very much.

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Well....red wine isn't the obvious choice with pork...but who cares about obvious?!...if it isn't too full-bodied a red you could use it in the gravy.
    (Are you comfortable making gravy?....cook the steaks in a frying pan, maybe add a spalsh of oil depending on how lean/fat the steaks are...take the steaks out when cooked...deglaze the pan - this is a cooks word for slosh a little wine in and scrape up all the tasty gunge at the bottom of the pan.... add some gravy granules, or gravy powder....heat it all up, taste it...(it should be thickening nicely!)....add some more wine, or water, or salt/pepper...heat again...check the seasoning and there you are....gravy!)

Or....how about a pudding for tonight? If you have a packet of jelly - preferably a red one - strawberry or raspberry - then make it up, but use half the liquid they suggest as wine. ...maybe add some fruit to the jelly before it sets?....serve with a blob of joghurt or cream?

13. dozymare1957

Thanks for the ideas Bethanie. I was going to try your traybake this evening with apples.
    I have no problem making gravy - I use Bisto Best which you just add boiling water to in a jug! LOL
    I've got ten pork steaks! That would take about four frying pans, wouldn't it? I think they are going to have to go in the oven at the same time as the veggies.
    I've no idea if the wine is full bodied or not. I'm tee-total. I don't think I'll take a chance with it for the pork going on your initial comment.

14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

You are really going for it dozymare - well done! Hope you like the roasted veg - the pork will be good with it and can easily be baked in a separate dish alongside the veg.

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

No....this is how you <u>used</u> to make gravy!
    It won't be long and you'll be making proper gravy!....And for future reference you can still make gravy if you oven bake your steaks - the tray will still have some nice tasty gunk!
    Oh and you;ll have to learn to make yummy onion gravy for sausage and mash!

Oh! Good luck!

You are really getting into this cooking lark!

16. dozymare1957

Beth, help!
    You didn't say what temperature, or how long for the tray bake!

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Really?
    Don't panic....you put the base in the tin...spread evenly...don;t put it in the oven!...then add the topping (did you say you were doing the apples?) and pop it in a preheated oven...Gas 4 or equivalent and cook for about 30 minutes - check the apples are soft, if not give them another 5 or so minutes.

18. dozymare1957

perfect timimg its justready to go in thanks

19. dozymare1957

When I typed this my hands were covered with apple juice and bits of the tray bake base and I was all sticky.

20. dozymare1957

Primarycat - Husband's comment on your roast veg. "Can I make one suggestion? Make more next time"
    Bethannie - the traybake with apple is yummy. We are all stuffed.