1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes for dozymare

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 8, 2012.

1. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

This is so exciting. I have just read the whole thread and can't to hear about the results. I am like Dozymare in the cooking department so I feel a special affinity.

Mmm - might try some of these recipes myself ... the 2 kittylioncubs and I might like that fruity chicken thingy and some of the others (they are quite BIG cubs - in their 20s).

Hope I have caught the editing window as the results have come while I was typing - sound delish Dozy!!

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Oh Kitty, the cubs will love the chilli. It really was easy to make but having youngest's help made such a big difference as I didn't feel totally responsible if it wasn't good.
    I can't believe I'm saying this but I really did enjoy myself.
    I'm going to try the fruity chicken soon - it sounds adventurous. I don't think all of mine will go for it but that's their problem, isn't it? The biggest issue with this is the amount mine demolish at one sitting. They are big meat eaters. I used 800g of mince this evening not 500g as suggested by CQ and there will not be any left over. Eldest will be home later, middle still has to attack it and husband and youngest will happily go back for thirds at about 9 o'clock if there's any left!

3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Well done - sounds a real success!

4. [​IMG]

5. dozymare1957

Eldest has now sampled and said it was very nice - chilli isn't his favourite food.
    Middle came down and took some but no feedback as yet. None expected TBH.
    Future son in law (a chef) said it was very nice - he's too polite to say anything different.
    Youngest has just gone back for his third bowlful!
    CQ you are a ruddy marvel. You have given me the capability of producing real food.

6. Noooooooooo, love.
    All I did was give you a recipe. You had the capability all along, you just didn't realise it [​IMG]

7. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

"Thirds" was my mates nickname at school :D
    I am glad it went so well.

8. dozymare1957

Youngest just went out to get some more and it's all gone. He's sooooooo disappointed. We're going to make rhubarb crumble now!

9. dozymare1957

The rhubarb crumble was scrummy. Thanks again CQ

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hiya, dozymare - do you mean the slow cooked sausage sauce for pasta that I posted?
    If so, substituting for the parmesan is a great idea, but I'd use cheddar or similar rather than mozzarella. The mozzarella will make it go claggy and would spoil the dish, in my view.
    Cheddar would be great, though.
    And - I'm interested to know, and please tell me if I'm being patronising, but have you tried fresh parmesan? It's just thaty if your experience of parmesan is of the dried stuff in the pots that smells of sick, then I'm not surprised you don't like it. It's revolting! Try the fresh stuff if you haven't. It tastes nothing like the potted stuff. Buy it in a block and grate it finely as needed.

11. dozymare1957

Yes, Nick, it is your recipe. We were tempted by all three but decided to try this one first. Thanks for the head's up on the cheese.
    You are right about my only experience of parmesan. (not at all patronising) I'll pop to Tesco later and get them to let me try some fresh parmesan. If I survive then I'll get some for the dish. If not, I'll get some cheddar. Up until recently I would have said that I didn't like cheese but a friend introduced me to some different varieties and I am beginning to like it. However, it's not my first choice of food (which would be chocolate) so I tend not to keep it in the fridge and only buy it when I want it for something particular. Actually, I usually have Phillidelphia in the fridge because my three sons like this.
    I now have a redundant bag of grated mozerella. Any suggestions? (OK buying it ready grated is dead lazy but that's me!)

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

My dad used to use the ready powdered parmesan when I was a child- he used to blow on his spaghetti and the clouds of vomit scented steam made me feel queasy. Real parmesan, is a staple in my house and doesn't smell of bile.
    For the mozzarella- make pizzas? Very easy and therapeutic too. Also each one of your wee fusspots could choose their own topping. We do them after school sometimes. Mix the dough up, leave it somewhere warm for 15 mins while you do homework etc, knock it back, leave it to rise while you kick off your shoes, unload the dishwasher, set the table, open a bag of salad and chop up toppings. Roll out dough, top and bake for about 10 mins in a very hot oven. Though they tend to mix the ready grated stuff with potato starch so it might not melt properly. Next time, buy fresh buffalo mozzarella!
    Dough:
    450g stong bread flour
    7g sachet fast action dried yeast
    2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
    350 ml warm (half and half cold and boiling) water
    1. Put dry ingredients in big bowl and make a well.
    2. Put water and oil in jug, mix and tip into well. stir in and leave for 15 mins. Leaving it at this stage saves lengthy kneading later!
    3. Turn out onto a floured surface, flour your hands and knead for about 2 mins or until even, soft and bouncy. Return to bowl, cover in oiled cling film and leave in warm place until doubled in size (about half hour)
    4. Heat oven to 240C/ gas 9 and put a baking sheet in on top shelf. Dust another sheet with flour. Split dough into 8 and roll first couple into small thin circles. Smear with sauce (if midweek I use sauce from the freezer or in extremis I have used Sainsbury's fresh tomato and basil pasta sauce!). Scatter over toppings (less is more to avoid soggy bottom!
    5. Slide onto hot baking shet and bake for 10-12 mins. Couldn't be easier and tastes much better than ready made.

NB Any leftover dough can be frozen in portioned out balls for another day! Just wrap well in cling film.

13. dozymare1957

Thanks for the pizza base recipe Si.
    My wee fusspots are 15, 19, 23 and 55! They can each demolish a large Dominoes in one sitting. We are always looking for snack ideas so this will be brilliant.
    If we made a batch of dough at the weekend, we could cook pizza for youngest when he gets home from school hungry as a wolf. How long do you think it would last?

14. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

This is such a lovely, feel-good thread: well done, Dozymare!

You asked about burgers:

My recipe is messy and therefore fun. It's also quite simple - you can experiment with adding flavours to the base mix.

Good beef mince - sounds like 800g might be best (I'd use 500g for four people).
    Put mince in a bowl. Add one large onion (red or white - your choice) which has been finely chopped. Maybe 1.5 for 800g mince unless it is a huge onion or yiou can't be boithered chopping more than one.
    Sprinkle over some seasoning. I use dried mixed Italian herbs - a heaped teaspoonful. You could use basil, oregano, rosemary - whatever is handy. Also add a good amount of black pepper and a shoogle of salt.
    Crack one large/two small eggs into a separate bowl and whisk with a fork. Add to mince/herb mix.
    Breadcrumbs: these are optional but help with structural stability. A decent handful should suffice. (Finely blitz old bread in blender/food processor. I'd do a big batch and freeze them for future recipes - breadcrumbs are nice on top of pasta bakes and things too).
    Cheese: optional; a half handful of finely grated parmesan will give a lovely flavour. Since you're buying it for the sausage pasta anyway you might as well use it!
    Chili: Fresh, or dried chili flakes - just a touch to give a bit of warmth. Optional but it sounds like chili is a winner in your household.
    Grated carrots: These eke out the mixture if there's not much mince. Optional.
    Tom puree: Can manage without, but a decent teaspoon-sized skoosh is tasty.

Once all desired ingredients are in bowl, massage it all together with your hands and form into balls which you squash down into patties. Fry for 5 minutes on either side in hot olive oil - should be golden (/black!) on outside and cooked through but not dry. Serve with roasted veg or in buns.

The same mixture makes lovely meatballs too - I brown them then cook them with a ratatouille-type mix for 30 mins and serve with pasta.
    Have fun!

15. dozymare1957

Yum FrauSue. Youngest and I are definitely going to try this one soon.
    I'll buy an old loaf and crumb it too. LOL
    I wonder would it be worth doing double the amount and having burgers one day and meatballs the next. I guess if one wraps half the mixture carefully one could store in for at least one night.

16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Just remembered a really quick pudding I do. A slice of thick cut white bread per person, buttered on both sides with crusts cut off and put on a baking sheet. Top with halved plums, apricots, peaches or nectarines - have to be fresh rather than tinned really for this dish. Sprinkle lavishly with brown sugar. Bake in oven (about gas mark 4 or 5) until fruit is tender and a bit caramelly from the sugar and the bread has gone crisp underneath. Serve with cream. A bit like a super quick crumble as you have the same contrast of soft fruit and crunch.

17. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

If you made it on Sunday it would be fine sitting in the fridge til Monday- instead of leaving it to rise in a warm place, bung it in the fridge for a slow rise. Rather than make it for snacks, just double the quantity for dinner! We like to make lots of smaller pizzas rather thatn one giant one as the bases end up crisper. This quantity does C and I (2 big appetites) for 2-3 dinners, depending on the level of piggery and whether I snaffle a bit for ly packed lunch.

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Well done Dozy, I am dead impressed by your willingness to go for it, You are a cook now!