1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes for dozymare

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 8, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

OOps! Forgot to buy real rice. It will have to be Uncle Ben's micro rice.

2. dozymare1957

My laptop is actually beside the cooker as we speak.
    Hey, I bought a corriander plant. It's going to live on my windowsill for a few days - it will probably be dead by the end of the week but that's when I'm going to use the corriander so it won't matter.

3. LOL - theoretically, he could eat it now, but it will taste much better if you simmer it for a good while and let the flavours mingle (it will taste even better tomorrow, if you have any left!).

4. dozymare1957

It's had ten minutes and he's already sampling it. I used two chillis as he loves it really hot. He wants more spiciness. Can I add more chillis now or would chilli powder be better?

5. dozymare1957

Second thoughts. I've just tasted it and it's hot! hot! hot!

6. Wait until it has finished cooking and then decide [​IMG]

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Definitely wait!....the spice/heat develops as you cook.
    Also, you have used fresh spices [​IMG] this will give a more complex/rounder flavour to your chilli. You will get a kick as you taste it and then afterwards the heat sort of echoes and you feel the heat again...so your son may find the dish is in fact hotter than he first thought.

8. dozymare1957

That does not bode well for the rest of the family! There will be much water drinking tonight methinks!

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It is going to be delicious!
    Remember, you are discovering how to cook....they need to discover how to taste!
    The first mouthful may be a little 'unusually' spicy, but their mouths and brains will adapt! They will scrape their plates clean!

10. You've also left the seeds in, which makes it hotter!
    If it is too hot for the rest of the family, add some more sugar or lemon juice.
    But if it is cooked for a good while, it will be hot - but won't blow your head off.
    My kids eat it [​IMG]

11. dozymare1957

Well, it's had half an hour. We can't wait any longer. Will update in ten minutes when I've finished it!

12. Does anyone else have visions of the dozy family sitting there banging on the table with their knives and forks? [​IMG]
    Guten Appetit!
    (I am quite nervous now, seeing as it is my recipe you are using [​IMG])

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

They're probably not used to tempting smells wafting through the house telling them dinner is on its way!

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Well dozy has ahd time to take it to the table...they've probably tasted it....and she hasn't come back to say they refused it!

15. dozymare1957

WOW! Hot but very yummy.
    Youngest sprinkled chilli powder on his as it wasn't hot enough but he did admit that the raw chilli he'd eaten when I was cutting them up had probably ruined his taste buds for the evening!
    Husband and youngest went back for seconds. Husband said it was hot but very tasty.
    Eldest isn't home from work yet but I've texted him to hurry up as food is yummy and disappearing fast.
    Middle hasn't appeared yet but it's hard to get him out of his room.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Water isn't a good idea. The burn comes back even stronger after drinking water!
    Creme fraiche or sour cream is a lovely way to cool down a hot chilli. Mayonnaise will do at a push.
    Bread and milk to drink help too.

17. I call that.........

SUCCESS!

Well done, dozy!
    See, you can cook [​IMG]

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

[​IMG]

Next time (there <u>will</u> be a next time!) you can use a milder chilli - or use less if you like...you are taking a recipe and adapting it....you are now a 'proper' cook!

19. dozymare1957

Well, I only did the chopping. Youngest did the stirring.
    Husband said it was much nicer than the jar version we normally have.
    Thank you everyone for your help with this lovely meal.
    We will be trying the slow cooked sausage thingy tomorrow. Youngest and I discussed using parmesan which we don't like and decided on mozerella instead - how brave are we? Will also try Beth's traybake with apples and QC's rhubarb crumble. I might even get the urge to cook this later this evening as I love rhubarb crumble sooooooooooooo much. I'm more excited about desserts than dinners TBH.
    I'd quite like to make home-made burgers sometime. Any ideas? I can't stand burgers but I think home-made ones would be nice.

20. dozymare1957

I won't change the recipe. It was actually perfect for me. It was very hot but I liked it. It didn't make me cry and didn't hurt to eat so it wasn't too hot.
    It will be easier next time because I now know exactly what to do and won't have to panic when I open the kidney beans next time![​IMG]