1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes for dozymare

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 8, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Well, we're back again with bags of stuff. We got lots of little jars of things like chilli powder, nutmeg, herbs de Provence and a packet of bay leaves as well as tinned tomatoes and kidney beans and tomato puree in a tube. Then we got loads of vegetables - we looked at the squash and chickened out. It looked a bit hard to handle! I did get aubergines and courgettes though so the roast veg thingy should be tasty and there were port steaks calling to me so I think I'll shove them in the oven at the same time as the veg (in a separate container). Will that work?
    Tonight we're going to have chilli. Had fun choosing chillis. Youngest wanted sunbonnet (?) but I was put off by the mention of wearing gloves to prepare. We settled on some green and some red pointy ones that said they were medium hot.
    TBH I'm knackered now and all I want to do is sleep so I think I'll have a nap now and then tackle the food a bit later.
    Youngest and I often do things together. He's 15. He likes cooking but wouldn't really want to tackle this by himself. We will have fun together though.
    Husband is still in state of shock! LOL

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am so excited! You have got some tasty sounding ingredients!
    Squash looks more intimadting than it is....we'll get you trying them!....but baby steps!
    One word of warning about the chillies...even the medium hot ones can be a little on the irritating side if you get them in your eyes...wash your hands before rubbing your eyes!....Oh and for your son...make sure he washes his hands BEFORE using the bathroom...it can be just a little painful otherwise IYKWIM! (I have seen a grown man cry after preparing the hot chillies!)

3. ohhhhhhhhhh, I am all excited as well, now [​IMG]

4. dozymare1957

Thanks for the warning Beth. I'll make sure youngest doesn't touch chillis just in case.
    It's nice that you and CQ are so excited because that's not the emotion that I have ATM! LOL

5. Damn & blast - my post just disappeared into the ether!
    You go, dozy girl!! It will be the best chilli in the history of the world, ever. :)
    A quick tip re chilli preparation (that I got from lilachardy - thanks lil!), is to rub your hands with a little oil before you start to chop. Then, when you wash your hands, all the hotness washes away.
    It really works.
    Good luck and have fun.
    x

6. dozymare1957

Castrol, Johnson's Baby or some other type?

7. Ha, ha! Olive, sunflower - any kind of cooking oil, you daftie!

8. dozymare1957

Oh, I got both of these today on my shopping trip. I spent £92! About the same as I would normally spend on food for four or five days so not much difference really except that some of the things will last for ages (especially if I don't do any more cooking after this weekend!)
    We're off to cook now.

9. dozymare1957

Just opened the kidney beans. They are in nasty looking gloopy stuff. Do I use that or wash it off?

10. dozymare1957

Come on guys. Don't desert me now!

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I wash it off as it sometimes has salt or sugar x

12. I give the beans a good rinse in a sieve.

13. I empty the can into a sieve and rinse the gloopy liquid away with tap water.
    Then I tip the beans onto a couple of bits of kitchen towel to dry them a bit.

14. PlymouthMaid

was I in time to avert disaster? Just rinse with water by the way not Fairy lol

15. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I've had a quick look at CQ's recipe....it doesn't say to do otherwise, so my advice is to drain the beans.....the gloop is only water! (with a little bean starch!), you don't need it.

16. dozymare1957

phew! Thanks. Panic averted. Just about to add tomatoe puree, tomatoes and kidney beans now

17. PlymouthMaid

This IS exciting - an embryo cook!

18. I so wish we could watch this via webcam [​IMG]

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It's certainly more exciting than anything on TV at the moment!

20. dozymare1957

Well, it's simmering. I had a bit of a moment when I realised that I didn't have a very large dessert spoon I only had an ordinary sized one (LOL)
    Son was eating chillis as I was chopping them. TBH I didn't remove the seeds and I just sliced them. Honestly, I was losing the will to live after chopping onions and garlic. Also, it's easier to pick out sliced chilis if you don't want to eat them.
    Youngest thinks there are way too many kidney beans! [​IMG] He also can't understand why we can't just eat it now. Is this so that the chilli "infuses" into the meat (is that an appropriate cooking term?)
    It smells yummy.