1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes for dozymare

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 8, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That will be a normal sized tin.
    I've used low fat cocounut milk before in cooking. It's a bit watery but fine. Not as rich and creamy as the full fat version.
    As for potato ricers......you can use a regular masher but a ricer gives a much smoother texture and guranteed no lumps. Wouldn't make mash any other way in Belle Towers.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Not all my recipes use a slow-cooker!.....Here is a really simple recipe that the whole family will surely yum down on a Sunday lunch time....
    Fruity Roast Chicken Breasts:
    Ingredients:
    4 Chicken Breasts
    30g flour (I use plain, but SR is fine too)
    About one tablespoon of oil
    2 apples
    1 or 2 pears (depends on how big they are - it's up to you!)
    6 apricots (this is really best if done with fresh not dried ones)
    A little lemon juice
    Salt
    Pepper

Method:
    Preheat the oven to Gas 5...or equivalent
    Put the flour in a bowl, season with the salt and pepper...I like lots of pepper!
    Take each chicken breast and roll it in the flour and then place in a roasting tin.
    Sprinkle the breasts with the oil.
    Put in the oven for 15 minutes.
    Whilst they are in the oven prepare the fruit...
    Cut the apricots onto 4 pieces - discard the stones.
    Core the apples and pears and cut into four pieces. (You can use a corer if you have one...or cut into four first and then remove the core bits)
    Sprinkle the apples and pears with lemon juice (This won't make them taste sour!...it just stops them going brown!)
    When the chicken has cooked for 15 minutes, add the fruit to the tin...put back into the oven and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the fruit is soft (about another 15 mintes - maybe 20)
    Serve with your usual potatoes and veg.

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Now, Dozy....I want to ask you to consider something scary....you mentioned your mother's cooking and said something about liver...will you trust me....please.....'trust me' - two of the scariest words in the English language!
    Try this...maybe just for yourself until you dare offer it to the family!

Liver and Kidneys with Semolina Dumplings...
    Ingredients
    Liver and Kidneys (however much you want...for myself one large or two small kidneys and a nice sized piece of liver)...Calf is best if you can get it...then lamb...or pork...don't go for ox (ox is better for stewing and turning into a pie/pudding)
    A tablespoon or so of flour (plain or SR)
    salt
    pepper
    a little oil if you want for frying

3/4 litre milk
    20g butter
    250g semolina
    2 eggs
    pinch of salt

Method:
    First prepare the dumplings...
    Heat the milk with the butter and pinch of salt. (yes, the butter will melt!)
    Take the pot of the heat and drizzle (pour slowly) in the semolina - keep stirring.
    It will form a thick lump - it is meant to!
    Out the pot back on the heat and warn the lump through - still stirring.
    Take the pot off the heat, put the warm lump into a bowl...add the two eggs (you might like to crack them into a cup first...it's easier to fish out any stray pieces of shell) a little at a time...again keep stirring (that's the main cooking skill for this - stir, stir, stir!)
    Put to one side until cool.
    Form the mixture into little balls.
    Put a pan of water onto the stove and let it boil.
    Drop the balls into the water - they will sink!
    Leave for a few minutes and the dumpling balls will start to rise - this means they are cooked!
    Fish them out with a large slotted sppon.
    Now...the liver/kidneys...
    Slice the kidneys - remove and throw away any white 'core' (it's too tough and doesn't taste good!)
    Heat a pan and add the oil (if used) and the kidneys
    Slice up your liver coat in the seasoned flour (seasoned flour just means you add the salt and pepper to it and give a quick stir/shake)
    When the kidneys have cooked for a minute or two, add the liver and cook both together for a few more minutes ...use your own taste (I like liver a little pink...you might want to start by cooking it through and see how you like it!)
    Whilst it's cooking you can add a splash of water to keep it all nice and moist.
    Serve with the dumplings.

(You can cook the dumplings the day before if you like - cool them and store them in a covered dish in the fridge.....then slice them and reheat them in the pan with the offal...add them at the same time as you do the liver)

4. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I'm guessing quick, one-pot meals are wanted, so ...
    <u>Sausage casserole</u>
    • Fry sausages (I slice them into chunks) - nice herby ones or plain if family prefer. Probably 2-3 per person.
    • Add onion (half onion per four people) once sausages brown and fry. Leek works well as an alternative / as well.
    • Finely shred green cabbage. Add to pot once onions starting to soften.
    • Chop carrots whichever way you fancy. Plonk in pot.
    • Optional: celery, fairly finely chopped. Plonk in pot.
    • Add slosh of red wine (one big glass per four people) and half a pint of thick gravy (I make mine from bisto granules!).
    • Good sprinkle of black pepper over top. Also add sage (dried or fresh) if a fan.
    • Stir thoroughly, put lid on pot. Top with sliced new potatoes if you fancy, or cook potatoes separately. Or have rice/couscous instead.
    • Allow to bubble quietly on hob for 30 mins or so. I tend to shove mine in the oven (in an oven-proof casserole dish!) at about 180 for about 1 hour.
    • Enjoy!
    <u>"Fishcakes" (aka fishy mash)</u>
    Ultimate easy tea! Not gourmet at all but a standby in our household.
    • Chop and boil potatoes - 1.5lb for two hungry people. When soft, drain and mash with a little butter.
    • Open and drain tin of tuna. Add to mash. Open packet of smoked mackerel, skin mackerel, flake (with your fingers) and add to pot. Optional: add prawns too.
    • Meanwhile, cook peas (Bird's Eye are fine) and finely diced carrots.
    • Once veg cooked, drain and add to mash pot.
    • Optional: Sprinkle of lemon juice and some fresh/dried parsley.
    • Stir into glorious fishy mashy mush.
    • a) Proper fishcakes - make patties from fishy mash, coat in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry.
    • b) Lazy "fishcakes" - plonk pile of fishy mash on plate and serve with lemon wedge/ketchup.

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Beth, are you trying to frighten me away? I only read as far as "liver and kidneys" and gave up. Sorry!
    Kidneys taste of wee and liver feels nasty. Can't do it. Sorry.
    I'm sure that other people will love your recipe though

6. Belle, if it's not too much trouble and the interesting sounding shop stocks it, that would be amazing!
    Thanks so much. :)
    xx

7. Love the sound of lazy fishcakes, Sue! :-D

8. This is a Jamie Oliver recipe (I am not a fan, but I love this one). Beth has a different version, I will let her post that ;o)
    <u>Easy poached salmon</u>
    Per person, 1 salmon filet
    Per person, take one largish square of tin foil
    Place a handful of green beans in the middle (fresh or frozen, you can use them still frozen).
    Put the salmon filet on top.
    Add a good tablespoon of pesto on top (it is quite ok to buy readymade pesto for this).
    Fold up the tin foil (not too tight).
    Put in oven at moderate heat for 15 mins.
    Eat :eek:)
    I like to serve with potato wedges.
    You will want a recipe for those now, won't you? ;o)

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Roasted veg and pasta or couscous - chop a selection of root veg etc up. Carrots, squash, onions take longer, peppers, courgettes,mushrooms, aubergine are quicker to cook. I include pretty much anything (carrots, parsnips etc, but anything too green and leafy isn't great). Toss with a little olive oil, sprinkle with herbs and some dried crushed chilli if liked before roasting. Once all soft and cooked eat with pasta or couscous and cubes of feta cheese. Leftovers make yummy salad lunches. If you want added meat a few lamb sausages baked with the veg are also good, or maybe kabanos or chorizo. If really in a hurry get a pack of ready prepared roasting veg.

10. dozymare1957

I love the sound of this.
    I need to be single without anyone to feed.
    Husband "needs" meat or he can't work!
    Two eldest sons don't do veg! No idea why as I love veg
    Youngest son will try things but likes very little - most things make him throw up (don't ask!). He won't eat fish or curry.

11. primarycat

Tricky - that would discourage me from cooking!

12. dozymare1957

Honestly, feeding my family is a nightmare. I'm a bit fussy too as you may have noticed but I live with four prima donnas (or the make equivalent) LOL
    This is probably the reason why I just don't bother.
    Husband will eat sausages but only Tesco Finest. Middle son and I only like Richmond Irish and other sons will eat either.
    Elder two sons and I like lasagne. Husband and youngest don't.
    Husband and two youngest sons like chilli. I'm okay with it. Eldest doesn't like it.
    Everyone likes curry but youngest. Husband likes very hot, rest like mild.
    Husband likes seafood and offal. I don't, so I just don't bother. Sons have never tried! LOL
    Husband doesn't like the texture of pasta except spaghetti or farfalini (spelling?)
    All like spaghetti and meatballs except youngest.
    I'm not kidding. The only thing that they all eat is turkey, ham and stuffing at Christmas. Some will eat the things that go with this but some won't. Some eat the starter (prawns for husband, melon balls for the rest - I like melon balls and they're fun to make). We have various puddings - Christmas pudding for husband and me. Chocolate trifle (a la Tesco) for boys and fruit trifle (also Tesco) for me. I spend all day Christmas Eve preparing this sumptious feast which we have in the evening. This means we can have turkey and stuffing sandwiches for breakfast on Christmas morning - yum yum! This is the only meal I enjoy cooking because I know it will be appreciated.

13. The answer is very simple.
    They eat what you cook, or they cook themselves.
    Even my son cooks himself, when he doesn't fancy what I have planned (our rule is however, he then cooks for all of us)
    He is 12 - and he does it! Last weekend I did not have to cook a single meal - he did it all.
    It was either that, or he would have to starve.
    Stay stubborn long enough, and they soon come round.

14. Hi dozy
    If you're reading this, check your 'Inbox' (top of the screen).
    M
    x

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

PM me dozymare. I promise I won't bite!! LOL

16. dozymare1957

Youngest and I have been through the recipes.
    We are going to try
    Beth's fruit tray bake
    CQ's chilli and red lentil curry (this one is for Friday)
    CQs rhubarb crumble
    Nick 909's crumbled sausages
    and roasted veg - I can't find it at the moment but I'm sure I'll be able to find it again later.

I've made a shopping list and we have just had bacon sandwiches so are feeling up for the challenge. We're off to Tesco.

Will update when something is ready to eat!

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think it is post 29 on this thread!...Primarycat's recipe!

18. dozymare1957

Thanks Beth. Still sitting here trying to pluck up the courage to shop.
    Asked husband for a bottle of red wine. Actually told him that youngest and I are going to cook. He smiled! Poor begger. Left his supercook mum for me nearly 30 years ago and hasn't had a decent meal since.

19. primarycat

Good luck with it - enjoy the cooking and the eating!

20. [​IMG]
    Enjoy the cooking - and the eating!
    I am sure it will be fun if your son is cooking with you xx