1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Recipes for dozymare

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, May 8, 2012.

1. If anyone has some simple and quick recipes for dozy, please post here [​IMG]
    Chili con carne (beginners version)
    Take a big pan. Slug in some oil. Heat.
    Chop a fresh chili (you can add more later), 2 cloves chopped or crushed garlic and 2 diced onions.
    Fry in the oil until soft.
    Add 500g of mince. Chop around a bit with a spatula so that it is crumbs and not big clumps.
    Brown off the mince for a good while until it is brown and the moisture has boiled off (keep turning now and then so that it does not stick and burn).
    Add a very large tablespoon of tomato puree and stir in.
    Add 2 tins of tomatoes (chopped).
    Add 2 tins kidney beans.
    Add a crumbled stock cube (we will do real stock in version 2).
    Allow to bubble up then turn the heat down, put a lid on and simmer on low heat for a good half half hour, better 45 minutes. Stir now and then.
    Now, you can add a tin of sweetcorn, if you like. Or a chopped pepper.
    Add some cumin (about a teaspoon), a pinch of salt and about 5 turns of pepper from your pepper mill.
    Add a pinch of sugar and a squirt of lemon juice (neither are obligatory, so if you don't have them to hand or forget to add, don't worry).
    Bubble up again. Simmer for another good 15 minutes, stir now and again.
    Taste. You might like to add more chili.
    That is it.
    One pan. One chopping board.

2. One pot red lentil curry (courtesy of charsam in 2010).
    200g red lentils
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 chilli chopped
    1 tblsp olive oil
    2 tblsp curry paste
    2 tblsp tomato puree
    1 tin coconut milk
    1 tblsp lemon juice
    1/2 bunch chopped coriander
    fry the onion,garlis and chilli together until soft. Add the curry paste and tomato puree cook for 1-2 minutes stirring all the time.
    Add the lentils stir until all coated in the spices. Pour in the coconut milk and another tin full of water. Cook on a low heat for 20 - 30 mins until thick Season well stir in the chopped coriander and lemon juice. Serve in deep bowls with warm naan bread
    Enjoy

3. <u>CQ's "Somerset" Pork</u>

2 pounds diced pork
    250g dried haricot beans, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained, (or equivalent in tins but then stick in at the end, you will need 2 tins)
    2 carrots
    1 leek
    1/2 pint apple juice (or add more to taste)
    1 pint chicken or veg stock
    2 great big splodges of honey
    one onion, with a bay leaf spiked on with 4 cloves
    some mixed herbs
    tomato puree
    worcestershire sauce

Brown off the meat in batches.
    Return to pan and add stock, apple juice, honey, a bit of salt and pepper and the soaked beans (if using tinned beans, add at the end) and the spiked onion.
    Bring to boil then simmer for at least one hour.
    Add the veg. Cook for another 20-30 mins or so. At the end, add some mixed herbs (about 5 or 10 mins before end of cooking time). Add about a tbsp. tom puree and a dash of worcestershire sauce.
    Adjust apple juice and honey to taste.

Serve with tatties, pasta or rice and some crusty bread.

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Curry without meat? Dear Lord. Husband will have heartfailure. This is definitely going to be my first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    I know that lentils are little dry things but do you just cook them like that?
    Any particular curry paste? Where do you get it? Tesco?
    ditto coconut milk
    Rhubarb crumble would be nice please!

5. You can add some chicken to the recipe, no problem!
    The red lentils need no prior soaking - you just cook them like that!
    I personally don't use curry paste but I dry fry my own blend of spices with the onion and garlich. I use cumin, turmeric, sometimes some garam masala (actually, buy some of that), and a few other bits and bobs. Others on here use curry paste, so may be able to recommend a good one (I think most tend towards Pataks). You can buy it in any of the well-known supermarkets, as you can tins of coconut milk.

6. Rhubarb crumble.
    This is how I learned to do it as a wee nipper (it is probably a Bero or Mrs. Beetons recipe).
    About 12 oz chopped rhubarb.
    Put into a pan, cover with water (just enough to cover), sprinkle in some sugar. Stew on lowish heat until the fruit is softened but not a pulp. Taste and add more sugar if still too sharp.
    Meanwhile heat oven to about 190&deg;C.
    Rub 2 oz cold chopped butter or margarine into 4 oz of flour with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs (just lift and rub between your fingers, do not crush or press together).
    Mix in 2 oz sugar.
    Put fruit into a casserole dish, top with crumble.
    Bake in oven for approx. 30 mins.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've actually got a very old copy of the Bero book, printed May 1957!!

8. Older than mine then!
    I have two - one from, hmmmm, the 70s??? Was the first recipe book my Mum bought me and I was a wee nipper of about 6 or 7, I think (do you remember me posting about baking opal fruit maids of honours for my Grandad with his false teeth? That was the first recipe I followed - and as you can tell, even at that wee age I was adapting recipes. Actually I think I was even younger than that, maybe 4 or 5... ;o))
    And I now have Mum's copy, since she died. I presume it is from the 60s.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

You need a Si's Sarnie in your life (copied off a thread from a long time ago about our favourite sandwich fillings:
    My favourite just-me dinner is half a good ciabatta, sliced lengthwise, spread with fresh pesto and toasted lightly in the oven, then jam packed with griddled mushrooms, peppers and baby plum tomatoes, topped with goats' cheese and returned to the oven until the cheese bubbles. Then I jam on the top of the bread, hack it into slices and serve it with a mixed leaf salad. It is ridiculous how much I enjoy this sandwich! Sometimes I substitute brie or feta, depending on the contents of my fridge.

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My tuna pasta bake has gone down well on here. This serves 2 with leftovers for lunch but would easily stretch:
    1 onion
    1 clove of garlic
    4 open cup mushrooms
    Teaspoon of mixed herbs
    Tin of chopped toms
    Tin of tuna (I prefer it in spring water)
    2 tablespoons of creme fraiche
    120g of pasta - I use wholemeal twirls but please yourself
    About 40 of a grated cheddar
    1 slice of bread grated into breadcrumbs
    Chop the onion and fry until soft. Add the chopped garlic and chopped mushrooms. Continue frying until mushrooms are soft. Add herbs and tinned toms and simmer while you cook the pasta.
    Drain the tuna and break up with a fork. Add to the veggies and stir through with the creme fraiche. Stir the pasta in. Top with cheese and breadcrumbs. Grill until brown and crunchy.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

You and yours might like my "tuna thing"
    A friend at Uni had lived in Brunei and loved Nasi Goreng; her mother "dumbed it down" for family dinners and she dumbed it further when we were at Uni; my version is even dumber!
    • slice 2 onions; put in a wide shallow pan on a low heat with 1 tbsp oil
    • add crushed garlic to taste (I use 3)
    • cook gently until soft
    • add 1 - 2 tbsp curry paste from a jar (we use Patak's Madras) and stir through
    • add 1 (or 2) drained cans of tuna; stir through
    • pour in 1 can coconut milk / 1/2 block coconut cream mixed with 1 pt boiling water
    • add 1 can white/red kidney beans
    • (optional: add quartered button mushrooms)
    • cook until hot through
    • serve with noodles (I use the 11p Sainsburys instant noodles)
    • allow soy/ sweet chilli sauce to finish

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

As well as cooking 'recipe' style dishes, it's a good idea to get used to the idea of cooking simple meals based around a small piece of meat or fish.
    Cod and mash, for example. Once you've learned to make mash, you're open to other dishes.
    Boil floury potatoes in lightly salted water til soft but not falling apart. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Peel when cool enough to handle but don't allow to cool completely as they'll go grainy. Push through a potato ricer. Beat in hot milk and butter until desired consistency (fluffy or more wet - a personal choice) with a wooden spoon, ensuring you get loads of air in it. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep in a warm place while you make the rest of the dish.
    For cod, get thick pieces with skin on. Preheat the oven to 170C. Season the cod with salt and pepper. Heat a thick slice of butter in a frying pan that can also go into the oven (i.e. a heatproof handle). Place the cod (or haddock or whatever) into the fat, skin side down. Cook for around 5 minutes on a medium heat, resisting the temptation to move the fish around. Flip over onto the flesh side. Place in the oven immediately for around 10-15 minutes or until the fish can be pulled easily into flakes (don't burn yourself on the pan handle!). Serve with the mash on hot plates with a squeeze of lemon.
    You can do the same with a pork chop or steak in place of the cod but don't place in the oven, just cook on the hob. Around 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare steak, 4-5 minutes on each side for medium pork chop.

13. Mmmmmm, H - definitely giving that a go!
    Just to check, is it 1 can of coconut milk <u>or</u> 1/2 a block of coconut cream mixed with 1 pint of boiling water?
    Will have real trouble getting block coconut cream where I live, you see.

14. Beat me to it. Am dying to try the recipe, it sounds fab! (also no hope in my backwater of getting block coco).

15. I really shouldn't come on Cookery at this time of night. I get really hungry and dinner seems like ages ago... [​IMG] <---------- DIY jaw wiring required!
    Must. Go. To. Bed.

16. dozymare1957

These sound fun thank you.
    Potato ricer? Should every household have one of these?
    I knew someone who always added a raw egg to mash - I never knew why

17. dozymare1957

I'm feeling hungry too .............. food or bed? food or bed? What should I do?

18. These all sound amazing! A couple of questions...Can you use light coconut milk or does it have to be the full fat version? When you say 'tin' what size do you mean?

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

When the Indian studetns from my school came to Belle Towers to cook curries for International Evening they brought along coconut powder (I guess the 'Marvel' equivalent of cocounut milk/cream). It was excellent. Much nicer than the tins and much cheaper! I shall have to see if 'Exotic' (H's fave place!) stocks it and if so I'll send you a packet Manny.

20. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am going to start by simply copy/pasting that recipe I gave on the quick/easy thread.....just so you have all recipes in one place Dozy...
    So here is the slow-cooked curry recipe....

Ingredients:
    1 Onion peeled and chopped (you can fry this in a little oil if you want, it alters the flavour and is the only veg I precook)
    400g courgettes, chopped
    1 tin (400g or thereabouts) of chickpeas, drained.
    1 tin coconut milk (just open it!)
    4 tomatoes roughly chopped
    200 mls vegetable stock (yes, you can use a stock cube!...I prefer stock powder...Swiss Marigold is my brand of chioice)
    A good blob of tomato puree
    1 chilli chopped (you can remove the seeds for a milder curry)
    I cinnamon stick - leave it whole
    A knoblet of fresh ginger - about 4cm long, peeled and grated (or you can buy ready grated!)
    Spices....you can use a ready mixed curry blend if you want but why not try your own?...I us the following.....1 teaspoon each of cumin, mustardseed, coriander and turmeric

Method....
    Bung it all in the slowcooker and switch onto low!
    (if you choose to prefry the onions, add the spices at the same time if you like...then add the onion mix to the other ingredients in the slow-cooker.)
    Leave it all day if you like.
    To serve, just cook some rice....if you like naan bread buy some!
    One tip...before serving fish out the cinammon stick...it doesn't taste too good if you chomp into it!

Once you have gathered together all the ingredients there isn't that much skill needed is there!
    You have just cooked a curry! It will taste much better than a take-away.

This was a veggie curry...why not add some spinach? (spinach cooks really fast so don't add it at the beginning.....add it maybe 20 minutes before serving)...OH or kids won't eat vegetarian? - add some chunks of chicken at the 'bung it in' stage!...or add some cooked prawns at the end of cooking (if the prawns are pink they are cooked....uncooked ones are grey)